Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Phoenix honk squeal rattle

Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:34 am

Bryan serviced my phoenix in 2014 after I fiddled with it, so I've been carefule to keep my fingers off except for cleaning(on this reg anyway). It has developed a squeal/ honk wile under water if I take a quick breath. In a similar thread, SDAquamaster suggested lubing the balance chamber orings. Looking at my log book, it has been close to 180 dives since the service. Didn't realize it had been that long ago. If I try a little lube, is it recommended to replace the hp seat to avoid double grooves? And how often is it recommended to grease if it is? Or should I just stop breathing hard just to see if "yep, it still does it".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Phoenix honk squeal rattle

Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:34 pm

Rebuild it and see what happens. 99% sure you will never get the HP seat back in and stable again if you remove it....There is no call to lubricate the HP stem other than when it's rebuilt.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Chris
Master Diver

Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:23 pm

Will do. Am I remembering correct that the opinion is to rebuild when the IP shows a problem or it starts acting different, like this is, Instead of doing a yearly parts replacement regardless of performance. Depending on the symptoms of coarse.

Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:26 pm

If the IP is stable, 2nd stage is not free flowing or any other obvious signs of malfunction there is very little reason to service a regulator according to a set schedule. If you know the regulator has been flooded or have reason to believe it has not been maintained properly then rebuilding it is a good idea.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Chris
Master Diver

Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:29 pm

Is the backup ring in the phoenix kit, or separate. Dont see it in the picture.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:35 pm

tripplec wrote:Is the backup ring in the phoenix kit, or separate. Dont see it in the picture.

It is shown on the right side of the picture right beneath the crown block O-ring as well as a note to see photo for explanation of updated backup ring.

http://vintagedoublehose.com/store/#!/P ... p/27716718

Chris
Master Diver

Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:48 pm

Saw the note. Thank you.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:21 pm

Any chance you were using on the same J-valve equipped cylinder each time it sang to you? Some will do that.
The older I get the better I was.

Chris
Master Diver

Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:10 pm

Thats something I have to double check. I read that but forgot. But I dont think it was. Ive heard it several times, but only have one j-valve tank. And on my Phoenix, I dive in the reserve position, so Im thinking the seat would be retracted. Right??

Chris
Master Diver

Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:27 am

Had the same tank filled and it wouldn't repeat it for me. So I decided to split the can and just do a spot clean. Everything's good until I space it and run water crossed the uncapped filter. Pulled the filter to check. Low and behold, salt spots on the spring block. And I am careful when I take my reg off the tank, so I was a bit surprised. I'm going to start rinsing the yokes with fresh water like Bryan suggests, before removing the reg.

Chris
Master Diver

Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:26 am

I guess I shouldn't be too hard on myself. I just looked at the bag of parts Bryan sent back when he worked on my hpr. There aren't any first stage parts in it, so he might not have worked on that end. That means there's closer to 230 dives on the Phoenix

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”