pasadenatim
First Name: Timothy

Phoenix in Mexico

Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:09 pm

Well, I finally dove my Phoenix DA aquamaster last week while in Mexico on vacation with the family. Went to the Iberostar Parisio beach just North of Playa Del Carmen. Booked 6 dives for the week and showed up Monday afternoon for the first dive. A young DM briefed our group of 3 divers on the afternoon dive and had us suit up and set up our gear. (you board the boat from the beach in your gear). Upon pulling out the doublehose, I noted his second look and thought "uh oh". Was pleasantly surprised to find he was inquisitive and then other staff members came over too. Most of the comments were that they had never seen one before and liked the look. I was glad they were receptive and I explained the first and second stage operations and that the parts were all basically new. Got to the dive site quickly as it was only 5 mins out, and I set up the VDH backplate and regulator as I normally do as I was probably a bit anxious on the first dive. ( I have close to 200 dives, but no open water dives with the Phoenix DH) So, after splashing and noting somewhat more breathing resistance than I noted in my pool back in the summer, I realized I had the cans were way too high. On subsequent dives, I placed the cans down lower on my back and the reg breathed much better. Just a little getting used too and once I slowed the breathing, it was great and very comfortable. Dressel divers was very good, and while they limited the dives to 45-50 mins on average, they didn't require everyone to surface upon the first diver reaching the surface psi of 700. A SMB was deployed and pairs sent up upon reaching their respective ascent psi's. I deployed a SMB too, but did use my normal oral inflation method. Was able to fill the bag with my low pressure inflator hose. Will have to practice the oral method as my SMB is the closed bottom type. All in all it was a good experience with the double hose. Got lots of comments from other divers who liked the set up. I see myself doing alot more DH diving in the future.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Phoenix in Mexico

Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:01 am

Thanks for the nice write up and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed diving with your new regulator.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:32 am

Very good. I always position the can bottom between 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the backplate radius

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:00 am

I have dove DHs while traveling for quite a while, first the Phoenix and now the AK. So far I have not had any negative reactions but it does draw a lot of attention and starts a lot of conversations. If you do run into some negative comments, it's usually from newbie instructors or DMs who want to impress people.
Herman

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”