ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: I DID IT!!

Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:41 pm

I've only experienced hard exhalation on a DH three times. The first time was many moons ago (like in the mid_ 1970s) when I left my DAAM in a very hot car for a very long time. The exhaust valve partially fused to the wagon wheel and the duckbill was all a melted mess. The second time the exhaust wagon wheel was in backwards so air no go no matter how hard I blow. The last time was with my Kraken. After a day of diving I took the hoses off the horns, ran fresh water through both hoses and hung up the hose assembly in my garage. A few days later I blew into the hose assembly to see if it was dry (i.e. to see if any water droplets came out) and encountered substantial resistance. After a few tries a very pissed-off looking field mouse flew out of the end of the exhaust hose, did a few mid-air somersaults, and landed in a heap on my garage floor. I swear that mouse looked back over his shoulder at me and gave me the stink-eye before scampering off. Of course my wife made me set out traps. Caught the little hose-nester the next day. If it ain't one thing it's another. Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:21 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:I've only experienced hard exhalation on a DH three times. The first time was many moons ago (like in the mid_ 1970s) when I left my DAAM in a very hot car for a very long time. The exhaust valve partially fused to the wagon wheel and the duckbill was all a melted mess. The second time the exhaust wagon wheel was in backwards so air no go no matter how hard I blow. The last time was with my Kraken. After a day of diving I took the hoses off the horns, ran fresh water through both hoses and hung up the hose assembly in my garage. A few days later I blew into the hose assembly to see if it was dry (i.e. to see if any water droplets came out) and encountered substantial resistance. After a few tries a very pissed-off looking field mouse flew out of the end of the exhaust hose, did a few mid-air somersaults, and landed in a heap on my garage floor. I swear that mouse looked back over his shoulder at me and gave me the stink-eye before scampering off. Of course my wife made me set out traps. Caught the little hose-nester the next day. If it ain't one thing it's another. Mark
Yeah, well, that is what I call a foreign object... :shock:
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

guyharrisonphoto
Skin Diver
First Name: Guy

Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:34 am

Think I solved the problem . And no rats involved :D took off the exhaust hose. Exhaled thru DSV. Effortless. Exhaled thru exhaust horn. Effortless. Put back together. Same hard exhale. Pressurized the geh. Same. paid more attention to what was happening. The exhale started easy then got more difficult. The harder the exhale the worse it got. I noticed that the air supply hose was moving as I blew out hard. Disconnected the supply hose. Blew thru it. Effortless. Sucked in. At first it felt like I could draw air but then it sealed. Reconnected everything. Now the exhalation was very easy like I would expect. Pressurized the reg with same result. Now it is an easy breather. will test again tonite to ve sure but looks good. Am posting this t8 see if anyone can give insight into what happened since I do not "know" for sure what caused it.

THANKS EVERYONE for all your help and patience.

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:46 am

Good to hear it sorted out.

Just a reminder though (and I'm sure you came across it in DH 101), don't inhale directly off the supply horn or hose if the reg is pressurized without the exhaust to avoid possible lung overexpansion injuries by the Venturi.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:17 pm

guyharrisonphoto wrote: I noticed that the air supply hose was moving as I blew out hard.
I'll defer to the experts but that seems highly irregular. If it was me, I'd disconnect the DSV from both hoses and inspect the mushroom valves to make sure they are seated properly. Years ago I had one get partially stuck through a spoke of the wagon wheel. When I exhaled the supply hose would flutter. I just pulled it back into place from the back and all worked fine. My 2 psi. Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

8dust
Master Diver

Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:18 pm

luis wrote:
ScubaLawyer wrote:I've only experienced hard exhalation on a DH three times. The first time was many moons ago (like in the mid_ 1970s) when I left my DAAM in a very hot car for a very long time. The exhaust valve partially fused to the wagon wheel and the duckbill was all a melted mess. The second time the exhaust wagon wheel was in backwards so air no go no matter how hard I blow. The last time was with my Kraken. After a day of diving I took the hoses off the horns, ran fresh water through both hoses and hung up the hose assembly in my garage. A few days later I blew into the hose assembly to see if it was dry (i.e. to see if any water droplets came out) and encountered substantial resistance. After a few tries a very pissed-off looking field mouse flew out of the end of the exhaust hose, did a few mid-air somersaults, and landed in a heap on my garage floor. I swear that mouse looked back over his shoulder at me and gave me the stink-eye before scampering off. Of course my wife made me set out traps. Caught the little hose-nester the next day. If it ain't one thing it's another. Mark
That's fan-friggin-tastic, Mark! Love that someone else gets going with those little fellas in the dive gear besides me... I'm astounded where I consistently find tiny mouse droppings in my shop/dive locker.... plus piles of nesting stuff.... I don't really mind the company if they'd just use a dam litterbox. Must have been a project getting those hoses clean, or did you just give up?

Luis, I see no reason to focus on the little guy's immigration status... He was just as likely a US object... :|

To the OP'er, let us know what you figure out. Sounds like some stuck and/or folded rubber to me, as Mark postulated.
Freddo
NAVED member #201

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:51 pm

Freddo,

The one mouse was an aberration around our place. We have this creature that is a master mouse-catcher. Had to put her on administrative leave after failing to detect and capture this particular mouse. Her punishment? No belly rubs for an hour!
1.jpg
3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:39 pm

This might sound really silly, but did you put it together backwards (hoses crossed up on horns)? Did you install the cages in the DSV or were they already in?
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

guyharrisonphoto
Skin Diver

Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:30 pm

Just an update. Since I removed the hoses and breathed sharply through the valves in all directions, all the valves seem seated properly and the exhalation effort is very light. I am going to do my first dive tomorrow at Blue Heron Bridge.

I have completely rigged the VDH plate with the HOG harness "DIR" style with one D ring at each shoulder and one on the left hip. Dive Rite 5# ditchable weight pockets (version that lock to the strap)on each side of the waist strap back near the plate. Knife on the right waist strap at my side. Trauma shears on the left behind the buckle, also on the left. Aqua-Lung grip-lock quick release cam bands. Dive Rite trim weight pockets, one on each cam band. Ran the straps per Luis' photos and the can sits nicely right between my shoulder blades (yes, the tank is very low compared to my usual reg, took some getting used to).

For the reg, I changed out the HP hose that came with the Kraken SPG to a 21" hose which lies perfectly flat at my left side and clips to the waist D ring. I also have my AI computer transmitter on the reg (bought the HP swivel adapter from Bryan) on a 6" hose which it gets it up above my left shoulder. I added a "long hose" octo set-up with the Kraken safe second on a 44" hose routed under my right arm, held in place under the knife sheath, and clipped off on my right shoulder D ring. Using the HOG 32# wing because sometimes I dive very big steels and cannot "balance" the rig to neutral, although the AL backplate might help with this (usually dive a 6 lb steel plate). Willt dial in my weighting and trim with an AL 80 tank tomorrow. This wing in particular has two plastic tubes running down the center about 5" apart which act as an excellent tank stabilizer--a really nice feature!

I plan to post photos of how I rigged it, in case these would be of interest to folks. It is extremely clean and nothing at all dangles and no hoses bulge out to the sides.

So, indeed this reg can be set up just like a fully modern advanced single hose set-up. I an VERY looking forward to this dive tomorrow.

couv
Master Diver

Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:32 am

luis wrote:
....that's what I would call a furry object. :wink:

ScubaLawyer, what breed of cat is in your top photo?
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

guyharrisonphoto
Skin Diver

Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:36 am

OK, had it on my first dive today. Practiced with the DSV open and closed on surface swims and when removing the mouthpiece underwater, with dropping and retrieving the reg, and with leaving the DSV open, removing, and then clearing.

Got it down squarely between my shoulder blades.

Here are my comments and some questions about the breathing. It is one thing to read the material here and another to actually dive it so some feedback and suggestions on technique would be welcome.

Vertical in water, easy inhale and exhale.

Horizontal, a little more effort on the inhale, can make it easier by slightly angling upward and making sure my head is held upright. Exhale still pretty easy.

Head down, even more effort on inhale and exhale.

Swimming on my side, easy inhale.

But, when on my side with the right side down, the exhaust hose seems to fill with water (not the mouthpiece, no flooding there) so that if I turn on my side to take an easy inhale, then turn back to horizontal for the exhale, it seems like I have to clear all the water out on the exhale, a lot of effort.

If I turn left side down, same easy inhale, but, some water does leak into the supply hose and then the mouthpiece area. Not a lot but a light clear is needed. I do not notice the hard exhale (ie having to clear the hose) if I wait to turn back to horizontal for the exhale. I checked the hoses after the dive and they were snug and tightly clamped on (hand tightening on the hose clamps).

The DSV worked perfectly for surface swims on my back or removing the reg from my mouth underwater. The SPG, computer transmitter, LP inflator, wing and plate all worked perfectly.

Clearing the reg after removing the mouthpiece takes a noticeably strong blow than a single hose reg, but nothing extraordinary. Retrieving a dropped mouthpiece is easy because it floats right above your head.

Am I experiencing basically normal operation?

Thanks!

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:41 pm

couv wrote:ScubaLawyer, what breed of cat is in your top photo?
That little purebred ball of expensive fluff is a Bengal. Got her 14 years ago from the then-80 year old geneticist lady who invented the breed back in the 1960s. Her full pedigreed name (the cat, not the lady) is Millwood Ritz Le Chat. We call her Ritzy. I know TMI, but I've gotten kinda fond of her. Mark.

Creed
Master Diver

Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:16 pm

While the changes in breathing seem normal, I've never noticed leakage based on position. That doesn't seem right to me, unless this was water trapped in the corrugated folds of the hoses that is migrating to the mouthpiece because of your position. I would try the same tests with a non-DSV mouthpiece to isolate it, if it's significant enough to matter to you.

In regards to fluffballs of the feline variety, we recently found out that a lump on our Maine Coon's nose is a tumor. I've have dozens of cats, maybe over a hundred, growing up, and that cat managed to become my favorite. Being a Maine Coon, he was unafraid of water, and has jumped into the shower before, much to the shock of the family member scrubbing up. Not a fun month, I tell you.
"Haul the sheet in as we ride on the wind that our
forefathers harnessed before us
Hear the bells ring as the tide rigging sings.
It's a son of a gun of a chorus" - Jimmy Buffet

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:12 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
couv wrote:ScubaLawyer, what breed of cat is in your top photo?
That little purebred ball of expensive fluff is a Bengal. Got her 14 years ago from the then-80 year old geneticist lady who invented the breed back in the 1960s. Her full pedigreed name (the cat, not the lady) is Millwood Ritz Le Chat. We call her Ritzy. I know TMI, but I've gotten kinda fond of her. Mark.

Not to hijack the thread, but really cool looking cat Mark! My Chloe is a Tabby/Calico and she is a hoot! :wink:

Jim

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:17 pm

Creed wrote:
In regards to fluffballs of the feline variety, we recently found out that a lump on our Maine Coon's nose is a tumor. I've have dozens of cats, maybe over a hundred, growing up, and that cat managed to become my favorite. Being a Maine Coon, he was unafraid of water, and has jumped into the shower before, much to the shock of the family member scrubbing up. Not a fun month, I tell you.
I am very sorry to hear that.

We had a Maine Coon we that was a great cat.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”