Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

First Look.....Argonaut Armor

Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:55 am

Luis, Herman and I have been working on this for a while. Lightweight aluminum rings contoured specifically for the Argonaut cans. Provides structural support and protection in the event of heavy impact. Not 100% sure what direction I'm going to go with this project so stay tuned for details. Luis will provide engineering data when he returns and gets caught up.
20160629_160113 (1).jpg
20160629_160140.jpg
20160629_160150.jpg
20160629_160202.jpg
20160629_160229.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: First Look.....Argonaut Armor

Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:05 am

Luis showed me a prototype at SHF. I thought it looked great. I asked if he could pimp-my-Argonaut too. 8) Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:42 am

after you smashed yours, i became very nervous of killing mine. As it was part of the initial campaign, I would be just sick if it met it's demise,,,,

These seem "interesting".

Keep up the brainstorming!
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:40 pm

My regulator fell while still attached to the cylinder from the bench and hit directly on the cans. Even metal cans would have been ruined from that height and from the direct impact. The Argonaut cans act as kind of a crumple zone and keep much of an impact from being transferred to the yoke, valve or body. The cans are not unique and it takes about 15 minutes to swap them out for another set of already prepped cans. With the modular design of the first and second stages I didn't even need to adjust the lever height or any other corrections when I swapped them out.
I have repaired more than one Phoenix equipped regulator in similar circumstances that not only lost the metal cans but also the yoke. If I would have thought to gather and keep the pieces that broke off my cans I'm convinced I could have glued them back together (not recommended) and been none the worse off.
The Armor rings would help in a situations where the regulator itself is dropped on hard surfaces or in overhead environments where impacting the cans is possible while diving.
Since they are aluminum they can be painted, anodized, powder coated or ceramic coated so it gives the Argonaut owner an opportunity to customize the look of their regulator if they so desire.
Still a work in progress.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:24 pm

The sample Luis showed me was uncoated metal. Even then the silver color really "popped" and made the whole regulator look real snazzy. Gonna be another "gottahav." Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:54 am

Dove Luis' Kraken with the uncoated rings. They add a nice sort of bling to the reg itself - but are still surprisingly lightweight!

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:51 am

You guys look uber professional! I'm sure the other divers on your boat are jealous. Have fun. Mark

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:22 pm

Is it just me, or does this reg look somewhat Non-Mag-ish..........? hmmmmmmmm......
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

Benjamin
First Name: Benjamin

Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:26 pm

Noticed these are no longer available ...... well be hunting down rubber edge protector and put that on my Kraken .... Don't want my baby getting hurt .

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:17 pm

Benjamin wrote:Noticed these are no longer available ...... well be hunting down rubber edge protector and put that on my Kraken .... Don't want my baby getting hurt .
Not sure about the edge protector? What do you have in mind? I have been known to overdo things because I too am particular. But at some point, and that is up to each of our OCD levels, it becomes a futile endeavor. I try to strike a balance, not sure very successful that way, but Bryan does offer new cans for a fair price if you damage a can.

I did manage to bust an edge off of my favorite Kraken in the Caymans when I dropped it, with some acceleration behind it, on the tile floor of our room. It only cracked a small sliver off and I continued to dive the regulator. Then when I got home I ordered a new can top from Bryan. Would a rubber edge protector have helped? Not sure. Other than this one misadventure my Kraken has so far proven quite sturdy. And that drop that cracked the edge off of the Kraken would likely have put a large, ugly dent into a brass can and might have required some reshaping to retain a seal on the main diaphragm to continue diving. It was a hard lick.

Nem

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”