rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Friendship via DH.... COOL!

Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:22 pm

Took a trip over to Welland Scuba Park in Welland, Ontario, Canada this morning to help a buddy out learning his new dry suit. Earlier this week, I took my Kraken on a River Drift, and it was tempting to again dive it, but I just got a '67 DA back from Bryan that he put a Phoenix and HPR in. Had just to use it! Place was pretty crowded as usual, with new divers, some tech divers, and a bunch of side mounters. Exiting from my first dive, there were quite a few mumbles heard, but nothing offending. Went back for a second splash, and after getting out, there is this elderly couple crossing the parking lot, and heading directly to me with purpose....

His first comment from his grinning face was "well, I didn't expect you to be as young as you are" (okay, I'm 49)..... that was funny!

He said he caught the glint of chrome (and the yellow hoses), and knew there was something there from his generation (though he didn't remember yellow hoses). As we talked, I learned he is 87 years young, was diving back in the 1950's, and was just "giddy" about seeing his first double hose in decades. He had been quite active in the diving scene, locating and recovering numerous artifacts from the 1812 era here in Lake Erie. And involved in many of the wreck findings there too.

We ended up talking for nearly an hour, and I have been invited to meet with them for dinner in the upcoming weeks with a very old Scuba Club in this area. I also had my Kraken with me, and when I showed it to him, he was simply thrilled to see what Bryan and Luis had done with producing it.

He said it had been quite a while since he last dove, but I think he wanted to get back in the water and try it.....

I want to thank Bryan for the assistance of resurrecting this DA, and look forward to more encounters it may bring.

My only regret is not getting some pictures.....

Oh, and it dives SWEEEEEEEET!
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

couv
Master Diver

Re: Friendship via DH.... COOL!

Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:39 pm

RH, that is a great story. Any chance that your new friend will join us here on VDH and recount some of his adventures?

Thanks,

Couv
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Friendship via DH.... COOL!

Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:29 pm

Thanks for being a great Ambassador! Great story too.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”