monterey1970
Diver
First Name: Andy

Repairing O-rings inside a Kraken?

Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:20 pm

I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I'm not mechanically inclined. I have an Argonaut Kraken that is about two years old. I've done ten dives with it, and I seem to know what I'm doing (i.e, I haven't killed myself, yet). On my last dive trip I was replacing my tank in between dives. About two minutes after I pressurized the regulators and pressure gauge, the regulator made a loud bang sound, and began leaking air from the first stage. It sounded like a blown O-ring. But the O-ring in the tank valve looks good. We poured some water over it and noticed it was definitely leaking from inside the first stage regulator block.

Here's my question (brace yourselves). Are there O-rings inside the first stage block?

If so, if one of them blows, it is easy to repair it yourself? Or should I take it to one of those regulator repair shops that specialize in those quaint single-hose regulators?

Thanks.

Andy

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Repairing O-rings inside a Kraken?

Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:40 pm

There is an O-ring and backup washer in the crown block and an O-ring on the volcano orifice. Not sure how either could "blow". The regulator should come back to me for all service and repair. There are no authorized service locations for the Argonaut other than Vintage Double Hose. I'll be happy to look at it just as soon as it arrives. If your LDS services Aqua Lung Conshelf and Titan regulators they might consider doing it but that's your call.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

couv
Master Diver

Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:05 pm

monterey1970 wrote:I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I'm not mechanically inclined. I have an Argonaut Kraken that is about two years old. I've done ten dives with it, and I seem to know what I'm doing (i.e, I haven't killed myself, yet). On my last dive trip I was replacing my tank in between dives. About two minutes after I pressurized the regulators and pressure gauge, the regulator made a loud bang sound, and began leaking air from the first stage. It sounded like a blown O-ring. But the O-ring in the tank valve looks good. We poured some water over it and noticed it was definitely leaking from inside the first stage regulator block.

Here's my question (brace yourselves). Are there O-rings inside the first stage block?

If so, if one of them blows, it is easy to repair it yourself? Or should I take it to one of those regulator repair shops that specialize in those quaint single-hose regulators?

Thanks.

Andy
Andy,

I suspect there could be a problem with the terminology you are using to describe the area of the leak. Would it be possible to post a picture with something pointing to the area where you saw air bubbling from? I say this because if the leak is coming from one of the port o-rings-that is a pretty simple fix. However, if it is actually coming from the "spring block" then that is a matter best dealt with by someone like Bryan.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

monterey1970
Diver
First Name: Andy

Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:01 pm

Bryan and Couv,

Thanks for the advice. I finally got around to hooking it up to a tank and carefully looking for the leak.

It turns out it was the #7 O-ring that seals the male end of my pressure gauge inside the HPP of the Kraken. Because of the location, the escaping air appeared to be coming out of the base of the yoke of the regulator. But when I looked at it very closely, I could see the O-ring was deformed and partially sticking out around the seal of the base of the pressure gauge hose and the HPP.

In fact, I remember that when I put my whole rig together nine months ago, I did have some trouble getting the pressure gauge hose to properly seat in the HPP. I guess I damaged the O-ring while I was doing it.

I replaced the O-ring and re-seated the pressure gauge host carefully; tested it out; and it seems to be working great, now.

Thanks

-Andy

couv
Master Diver

Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:03 pm

Well done Andy.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:42 pm

You're not diving it enough, Andy - those o rings don't like sitting around with nothing to do - :mrgreen:

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”