Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: New Argonaut Kraken Owners Post

Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:49 am

Guess I should clarify my request a bit. If you go diving with your Argonaut Kraken and you happen to take 2 or 3 pictures that show you diving your Argonaut Kraken then label the pictures, Argonaut Kraken Red Sea, Argonaut Kraken Titanic, Argonaut Kraken swimming pool ....Or whatever. That helps get web hits.....But please don't spam the board with photos of your car driving to the dive site, photos of your lunch, photos of your towels, photos of the toll booth on the way to the dive site etc...If the picture is not telling the story then skip it.

I think you get the point though :) Thanks everyone!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:22 pm

Here are a small amount.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:45 am

Well done! Thank you
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bronze06
Master Diver

Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:54 pm

Here are a few composites from this weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:37 am

Keith in Scotland diving his Argonaut Kraken...... I had just surfaced after a great dive off Maiden Island, near Oban on the west coast of Scotland. It was a typical Scottish summer day with a south west wind force 3-4 with rain mist and a slightly rough sea. Photo taken on 29th July 2017 by John Kerr. Caledonian MacBrayne provides the ferry services from Oban to many of the western isles of Scotland.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:40 pm

Bob W diving his Argonaut Kraken in Tobermory.
Bob W in Tobermory.jpg

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:07 pm

Bryan,
LOVING the reg. Thank you!!! It always gets the conversations started, and yes, it works wonderfully.
Here's another picture from last weekend up in Jupiter.
Thanks,
Alex
Alex, Jupiter Florida.jpg

Bronze06
Master Diver

Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:33 pm

I have released the "Kraken" on 150 dives as of the date of these photos. :D

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:44 pm

Beautiful So. Cal. beach dive yesterday. Here's my Kraken with DSV on my twin 45's. Breathes great!
Kraken So cal Beach Dive.jpg
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:31 am

Couple of cool photos that a new Kraken owner posted on the VDH FB page.

Bronze06
Master Diver

Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:30 pm

I got this dingus for my birthday!!! MINE ALL MINE HA HA HA!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: It will be going with me to Cocoview Resort in Roatan in December. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: MINE!!!
607606872.jpg

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

polestar
First Name: Willis

Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:43 pm

Hi you Argonaut Kraken divers. I have a question: Is the Argonaut Kraken easier breathing than say the Royal Aqua Master? I know DHR's are known for breathing harder than a single hose regulator. I have dove the DA Aqua Master and the RAM over the years, and I know my RAM breathes easier than my DA Aqua Master. And if the Kraken does breathe easier, how is that so?

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:20 pm

It is all in the set up. The Kraken is a great reg.... as is the Royal Aqua master, DAAM etc. But if you position them so they are behind your head, they won't breath very well at all. With a VDH plate or a traditional one inch harness the cans touch your back between the shoulders blades. There you will find that these regs breath as well as anything... single hosers included.
My Kraken is a great reg and I use it alot. But if I really want to dive "vintage" I use either my DivAir Model C or my Yellow label Mistral. I guess I have a thing for single stage regs. I also really enjoy my Healthways Gold Label. I have taken all these regs down past 130 feet and they do just fine. As long as they are positioned correctly they breath like a champ!

Jim

Herman
VDH Moderator

Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:11 am

Welcome to the board,.
The short answer is yes, they do breathe better, While Jim is correct, position on the body is important for any DH reg, a properly positioned DA or RAM in it's original condition can come no where near the performance of a AK. There are a number of reasons for this. First off the DA is an unbalanced first stage so it's not really in the same league. Unless the RAM you were diving has been rebuild with the current generation of reproduction parts it's way behind the curve to start with as well. The reproduction silicone main diaphragm is a vast improvement over the original design (the Kraken uses the latest version), it alone vastly improves the performance of a DA or RAM. Next the second stage on both the DA and RAM was not the greatest in design and frankly a lot of people don't know how set them up to get the best out of them, The AK uses the HPR which is a upgraded second stages that was originally designed as a replacement for the DA/RAM second stage. It has better flow performance, has a more aggressive venturi and setup is much easier. Adding one to a DA or RAM takes either to another level of performance. When set up correctly a RAM with the new diaphragm and HPR start to come close to the performance of a AK but it stills can not match it due to improvements in the can design. The AK's can was specifically designed to improve flow and take full advantage of the venturi that is built into the second stage. Also, unless the DA or RAM you were diving had the current mouthpiece valves, you were losing some performance there as well....and to a lesser extent same goes for the duckbill. Both of which have been improved in the last few years.
Performance was farther improved with the release of the new DSV, with which the venturi built into the AK (and a DA or RAM with the HPR installed) can be adjusted to increase the performance even more.
I had my AK tested by a major repair facility on their new regulator test setup. They ran it twice because they did not believe the first run. They keep the profiles of all the major regs to compare against, the AK outperformed the top of the line Scubapro and Atomics by a wide margin, the only reg the beat it was the top end Posiden.
With that said it still is a DH reg and has to be positioned properly on the body and dove properly.
Herman

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:13 am

polestar wrote:Hi you Argonaut Kraken divers. I have a question: Is the Argonaut Kraken easier breathing than say the Royal Aqua Master? I know DHR's are known for breathing harder than a single hose regulator. I have dove the DA Aqua Master and the RAM over the years, and I know my RAM breathes easier than my DA Aqua Master. And if the Kraken does breathe easier, how is that so?
Hi and welcome,

Agree with Swimjim and Herman. Let's put it this way, I haven't used my Atomic Aquatics B1 once since getting my Argonaut Kraken in 2014. I used a friend's Royal Aquamaster a while back that was just rebuilt using all original NOS (New old stock) parts. With both regs positioned the same way the RAM felt like I was sitting on the bottom of a pool trying to breath through a garden hose. I exaggerate to some degree but you get the idea. The AK rocks! Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”