pclarke1
Lung Diver
First Name: Paul

Re: DA Aquamaster/Phoenix Rebuild Question

Mon May 19, 2014 9:58 am

My man is an old Chinese guy, who has been in the business a very long time. He runs a little service 'blacksmith' type shop. I think he knows what he is doing.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon May 19, 2014 10:09 am

Being in business a long time is no way to measure knowledge or skill.

Hopefully your service rep has experience working on double hose regulators and your project will turn out fine.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

pclarke1
Lung Diver

Mon May 19, 2014 10:42 am

Well being alone here in Singapore I can only do what I can. I will rely on whatever advice I can get and learn as I go. When I make mistakes then I will have to learn from them.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon May 19, 2014 11:41 am

Drado wrote:Hey Pclarke, out of curiosity, where'd you get your DH? Those puppies are relatively rare in this region. If you ever find yourself here in the Philippines, I've got two PRAMs we can use :)
I realize Drado is not exactly in your backyard but he is the only person I know of in your general area of the globe that I would recommend for advice/service/repair on double hose regulators.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

pclarke1
Lung Diver

Mon May 19, 2014 5:36 pm

Drado and I have been in contact, but Manilla is 3 1//2 hours flying time from here, so on a day to day basis I am on my own.

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Mon May 19, 2014 8:04 pm

pclarke1 wrote:Drado and I have been in contact, but Manilla is 3 1//2 hours flying time from here, so on a day to day basis I am on my own.
You're never really on your own when you're on VDH. Ask away, and you'll get a straight answer - if not on the forum then via PM :D
Bryan wrote:
Drado wrote:Hey Pclarke, out of curiosity, where'd you get your DH? Those puppies are relatively rare in this region. If you ever find yourself here in the Philippines, I've got two PRAMs we can use :)
I realize Drado is not exactly in your backyard but he is the only person I know of in your general area of the globe that I would recommend for advice/service/repair on double hose regulators.
I am... extremely flattered! :D

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sat May 24, 2014 3:22 pm

pclarke1 wrote:My man is an old Chinese guy, who has been in the business a very long time. He runs a little service 'blacksmith' type shop. I think he knows what he is doing.

This sorta worries me. I think it was when you said "blacksmith". That conjures up an image of him pounding out a hot steel rim to go on a rickshaw's wooden-spoke wheel. :shock:

Hey, pclark1, I'm not making fun of you... just concerned that you end up with a regulator that is safe for you to dive with. Learn all you can about servicing those regs so you will be better equipped with the knowledge to check out his work.
The older I get the better I was.

pclarke1
Lung Diver

Tue May 27, 2014 8:07 am

antique diver wrote:
pclarke1 wrote:My man is an old Chinese guy, who has been in the business a very long time. He runs a little service 'blacksmith' type shop. I think he knows what he is doing.

This sorta worries me. I think it was when you said "blacksmith". That conjures up an image of him pounding out a hot steel rim to go on a rickshaw's wooden-spoke wheel. :shock:
Ah so you have been there.

Several points.
1. I appreciate your comment in the light hearted fashion it was offered.
2. My intention is to do the work myself and go to Mr Lim for advice where needed.
3. He is a very experienced technician and extremely helpful. I am sure the technology here is not beyond his or my understanding. I used the term blacksmith shop as it is a very typical little repair shop for this part of the world. It is small and ramshackle and overflowing with stuff. However I have confidence in his technical stills and knowledge despite lack of specific vdh experiences.
4. I have a test plan. If it doesn't work well on the bench it will not make it to the pool. If it doesn't work well in the pool in 5 ft of water, it doesn't get to 10 ft in the pool. It doesn't get I to open water until I am happy with the performance in three pool and only then with a bailout bottle for the first couple of try's. This is meant to be a fun project and if it takes six months (then more the better) but I am in no hurry.
5. I accept my limitations. If after exhausting my ability to perform this work and the resources of this board, the. I will humbly request Brian's services and send it to him to fix.
6. Phase one (internal can) parts have been ordered and shipped.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Tue May 27, 2014 9:01 am

It sounds like you have it under control, and I couldn't suggest a better plan than you have. I'm glad you weren't offended. :)
The older I get the better I was.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Tue May 27, 2014 9:28 am

These regs are not hard to work on and anyone with USD/AL experience will not have any trouble with them. That said, I do have one very serious warning for you. DO NOT breath directly from the supply horn or a hose that does not have the entire hose loop installed and working correctly. These regs have a strong venturi built into them and it is possible...easy actually...to do serious lung damage to yourself if you breath off the horn. If you have the port sealed with your mouth and initiate flow, if the venturi kicks in hard it can over inflate your lungs in an instant. If the venturi is overly active with the loop on, any overpressure is simply vented out the exhaust side of the loop and no harm done. This is even more true with the HPR as it can be set up with a very sensitive venturi.
Herman

pclarke1
Lung Diver

Tue May 27, 2014 10:29 am

Good tip, thanks Herman.

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”