Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Boston Scuba Show

Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:10 am

Luis turned over an Argonaut Kraken to Jonathan Bird at the show on Saturday. He has been using a Phoenix for the past couple of years while filming his award winning show Johnathan Birds Blue World
and has been a big supporter of VDH.
As a side note, he has passed up the opportunity to use equipment from several large manufactures free of charge if he uses their gear exclusively. He chooses to use gear he likes to dive and that works best for him.

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Re: Boston Scuba Show

Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:07 pm

- I wonder which color hoses he prefers. He'll be thinking of what will look good on camera, won't he? Man, that will be great to have the Argonaut being seen on a regular TV show.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:20 pm

The one with black hoses that he is holding on his hand is the one he is going to be using. He prefers the black hoses because it has been part of his look/ signature and my impression is that he doesn't want to change that.

I was just holding the one with the red hoses to show it. I will be diving that one with the red hoses in Bonaire this spring (not soon enough).

The show was great. This show was all about video presentations and photography (mostly video) from different people.

Jonathan had four great videos. He does a great job and he is a great entertainer/ speaker. It is definitely a pleasure to se his presentations.

You can see Jonathan Webisode on his website:
http://www.blueworldtv.com/webisodes

You can see him using a Phoenix-HPR in many episode. I highly recommend episode number 51, 61,64, and 59 to see the Phoenix in action.

All the episodes are good, but in many he can not use a DH.

Episode 65 is also a great episode, but diving in the NASA Neutral Buoyancy Lab (NBL), he had to use the standard gear provided by NASA. He showed that episode yesterday and made an interesting observation about the visibility. The NBL is 202 feet long. Jonathan made the observation that not only he could see the full length of the tank (202 ft), but at the other end there was a large mirror and he could see a diver on this mirror... he was looking at himself... 400 ft visibility!

Another presenter in yesterdays show was Diver Ed. This guy is a riot.
Here is his web site:
http://divered.com/

There were also a number of other great presentations.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:50 pm

Luis,

If you send me an Argonaut, I'll send you a video of me using it... :D

Seriously though, I wonder if there is a good way to get the word out about Jonathan Bird. I watch Blue World TV webisodes with my kids, have commented on his Youtube channel and have liked his Facebook page. But beyond that, I have no way of promoting his programing. I may write a letter or two to a TV network, but my past experience has been that those folks don't have the same viewing tastes as I do.

I actually discovered Blue World TV through VDH, just another ancillary benefit of Vintage diving I suppose.

PS: Don't forget webisode 53, which is about sea snakes and gives lots of screen time to the PRAM.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”