luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Servicing a Phoenix RAM.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:00 pm

Servicing a Phoenix RAM.

There are plenty of manuals and write ups on how to service a Royal Aqua Master or a Conshelf and other similar (derived) regulators, therefore at this time I only want to point out a basic difference between the Phoenix RAM and a regular vintage RAM.

To service a RAM it is necessary to remove the first stage from the main body in order to get the yoke out of the way. With a Phoenix RAM that is not necessary.

I have been diving one of my Phoenix RAM since the introduction around 2005 and I have never felt the need to remove the first stage to service the regulator. Once the first stage Phoenix is installed (with the port in the preferred orientation) I have not found the need to ever separate that join.

I have often thought about using Loctite on those threads, but that would mean that I have to take it apart… If it isn’t broke why fix it?

Note: I will admit that I don't service my regulators unless they need it… and my Phoenix RAMs have not needed any service except when I design a new upgrade… like the new HPR.

The only part that I can envision needed service in the future (unless I accidentally flood a first stage) is the second stage seat. Replacing the seat on an HPR is just a matter of unscrewing the module changing the seat and screwing it back on. No adjustments should be needed. There are other threads about that subject.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”