Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Phoenix News and Updates

Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:10 am

Another great episode diving the Phoenix

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md_l6vK13cQ[/video]
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:33 am

Thanks for the video.

That is very cool. We saw some of this coral growing trees right in front of Buddy Dive in Bonaire. I talked to one of the guys that was working with it. He had a scale that he used underwater to weigh the coral pieces.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:10 am

luis wrote:
That is very cool. We saw some of this coral growing trees right in front of Buddy Dive in Bonaire. I talked to one of the guys that was working with it. He had a scale that he used underwater to weigh the coral pieces.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:17 pm

1961 PRAM-HPR with flex hose and Hope-Page mouthpiece.

[video]http://youtu.be/6O_sxXvw20o[/video]

Sorry about the noise. I found a bare spot on the coral head so no coral died making this video.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:40 pm

I equipt my DivAir with a Hope page set up this year to try and bring it to original spec. I'm glad I did as I really like it. Fun video. Instead of warm coral reefs I was at the local harbor today with the dive rescue team overseeing the polar bear plunge. Brrr. There was a guy there who was a participant that looked just like Nic Icorn (SP?) Who ever it was was driving a car with New Jersey plates. One never knows.

Bronze06
Master Diver

Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:55 am

Swimjim,

Even though DIVAIR and Healthways had the Hope-Page as an extra option, the ability to replace a bite piece was just too hard to resist for me. I realize that the 1961 DAAM had "flex" hoses like Spirotechnique though they were sized to fit the Kleer-EZ USD mouth piece. This one came with its original flex hoses, but they were suspect. So when I turned it into a PRAM-HPR, I decided keep it close to its roots and dropped new flex hoses from Bryan on it, as well as a Hope-Page. I've had it on about 35 dives now and it works wonderfully. As far as diving in the ice box you all call home waters, you definitely have the right equipment for cold water when it comes to DH regulators. I've never heard of one freezing up. I know what you are going into, as I first started diving in Puget Sound about 8 miles south of Canada when I was a kid and have dove Scapa Flow, the Bodensee (Lake Constance) and parts of the north sea near Bremerhaven, Germany as well as spots and all along the US West Coast up to Anchorage. Definitely 1/4 inch farmer johns and a 1/4 inch top for 1/2 inch core protection and a 1/4 inch hood to boot. Not to mention about 15-20 pounds of weight. It's that kind of water that makes one really think about getting a dry suit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Boiler81
Vintage Diver
First Name: scott

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:03 pm

The Bend-O-Matic on your wrist is a nice touch.
Bronze06 wrote:1961 PRAM-HPR with flex hose and Hope-Page mouthpiece.

[video]http://youtu.be/6O_sxXvw20o[/video]

Sorry about the noise. I found a bare spot on the coral head so no coral died making this video.

Bronze06
Master Diver

Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:57 am

Yes, I thought so too. I was actually playing with it and checking how it stacks up as a NDL indicator, not just a DECO meter. Check out the post by pclarke1 in the forum under the title Bend-o-Matic. :shock:

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:00 pm

Good News for the absent minded (me) I was talking today with the metal finishing company and the rep said....We have three pieces here that you said to hang on to till you had more coming your way....Do you want them back now??? So there are now 3 original style Phoenix first stages in the store.... And I rolled back the price of them to 2006!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:07 pm

Jonathan getting a lot of diving with his Phoenix/HPR in this episode....His new Argonaut Kraken must be getting jealous!
[video]https://youtu.be/bF-c6loxwtc[/video]

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:49 pm

According to a post from Jonathan, that was released recently, but it was filmed in 2013.

That would explain his regulator choice at the time.

Thanks for the link.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:57 pm

The Kraken is a great regulator. There is however absolutely nothing wrong with the Phoenix!!! It's a great breathing reg! I have my first generation Phoenix and I still enjoy it. It's really a coin flip between my Phoenix and my Kraken DD 3.

Jim

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:11 am

Couldn't agree more with Jim. I dove my Phoenix on Wednesday in order to find a co-workers lost bracelet. After I found it, I dove across a bay that used to be used for log storage, the Phoenix performed flawlessly at 75 feet and I swam past some amazing log jumbles and plumose anemone colonies.

I should add, that if it wasn't for the Phoenix, I doubt I'd be diving double hose regs today, the drysuit configuration is just not very easy without it. The Kraken is an amazing regulator, and the Phoenix is it's VERY worthy predecessor.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:57 pm

Update on the Phoenix.............Here are a few photos of what we are working with and I'll let Luis follow up with the technical details. .......Coming to the website store soon!
20150812_095512.jpg
20150812_095627.jpg
20150812_095324.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

uwstlth
Master Diver
First Name: kevin

Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:38 pm

Absolutely amazing! Nice work guys, super solid design and proven reliability. I love my Phoenix...

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”