Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Argonaut: Strange Regulators sighted off Cozumel coast..

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:19 am

Thought I would share the current project status.

Machine shop in San Jose that made the sample Argonaut bodies agreed in December to re-make them due to errors they made that Herman had to correct. We agreed to supply the brass and they would do them over at no labor cost. As of now they have one very expensive piece of brass stock we paid for and have done nothing for 4 months. About the only recourse I have at this time is to get legal help and that will cost a small fortune.

I am working with a new shop that looks promising and I have paid for samples from them.

Rapid prototype of the new cans will be done around May 15th.

My source to purchase Aqua-Lung parts directly was abruptly cut off so I'm relying on friends to help me out with what I need for now.

Still looking for a foundry that can do small runs for the yoke and screw. Too much brass is wasted in the process to have them machined.

Most of the internals are done and ready for production as soon as I have the cash.

It's gonna happen but may take a little longer than I thought.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

8dust
Master Diver

Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:44 pm

Thanks for your persistence, Bryan. It’s a noble undertaking. 8) :D
Freddo
NAVED member #201

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:52 pm

We understand that the capital that VDH has to put out is a big risk and I think we all appreciate the effort. I am sure the Argonaut project will be worth all the expense and the aggravation. I know first hand after diving mine in Cozumel!

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Thu May 09, 2013 5:41 pm

- Thanks for the update, Bryan. I don't know if you are taking orders yet but, I'd like to order an Argonaut and would be happy to pre-pay a deposit on the order to help finance the project.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Thu May 09, 2013 7:49 pm

SurfLung wrote:- Thanks for the update, Bryan. I don't know if you are taking orders yet but, I'd like to order an Argonaut and would be happy to pre-pay a deposit on the order to help finance the project.

That's not a bad idea. I'd be willing to do the same.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri May 10, 2013 10:43 am

This idea has been kicking around for the last year or so but I didn't give it much thought thinking I could get it to market faster and more inexpensively than it has turned out so far. Couple of bombs got dropped that have really tried my patience.

. First machine shop screwed us period. Still has some very expensive brass stock we paid for plus the regulator bodies we are owed.. To get the ball rolling legally will cost quite a bit. Every $ spent in the courtroom is one I could better use on R&D or production.
. Gentleman that was doing the 3D work dropped us like we had the plague. No reason given and he has not replied to any sort of communication for months now. I have zero clue what happened. He does amazing work and made it possible to rapid prototype which is essential to keeping R&D cost down and to make quick changes.
.OEM parts source dropped me like a bad habit. I do have a solution for this one though. This issue alone is why we decided the Argonaut had to be it's own parts source.

Besides these minor issues it's going pretty good :lol:

Luis has a couple of Argonauts with some experimental features hes diving in Roatan this week and Rob and I will be doing some more testing in Florida next week. The prototype regulators have exceed all expectations.

If you are serious about being ahead of the curve and don't mind being patient please send me an E-mail. I will see if I can come up with a plan to get a few double hosers in the E ticket line for an Argonaut :wink:
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Fri May 10, 2013 7:04 pm

Same here.

Nem

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon May 20, 2013 6:55 pm

Samples from the new machine shop arrived today. Now in transit to Luis for his evaluation. New machine shop has made giant strides in the right direction when compared to the samples from October. We are not quite there but the light at the end of the tunnel is getting much brighter :D :D

Herman
VDH Moderator

Mon May 20, 2013 8:46 pm

I still think you need to add the snoopy dance emoticon.
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon May 20, 2013 9:18 pm

Herman wrote:I still think you need to add the snoopy dance emoticon.
You will be getting a call from 207 area code later in the week I am sure :D

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Mon May 20, 2013 10:05 pm

:lol:
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Mon May 20, 2013 10:23 pm

Didn't take that long. :)
Herman

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”