swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: HPR in action, first blush

Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:30 pm

EHowe wrote:Looks great Jim!! I was wondering. Have you ever dove Devils Lake in Baraboo?
I used to belong to a dive club that did a weekend camp out at Devils lake. I probably have a few hours bottom time there, turning over stones and feeding the Bass critters that would attempt to escape. Personally I think there's a lot better opportunity for diving else where. For instance, Lake Wazee in Black River Falls. More stuff to see, more depth, as good or better fish life. Better yet, Baileys Harbor. Lots of options for shore dives on Lake Michigan. Or of course, Fortune Pond. A bit of a haul from Chicago land, but excellent viz and accommodations. Come on up for IceWurst! I'll be exercising my HPR up there for sure.
Sitka, no worries about hijacking. My intention for the thread was to bring out first experiences with the HPR. I have more "research" to do myself, but so far the new 2nd stage rocks!
Luis, I've dove the Jennibell and it's a pretty cool wreck. Something you will not see in salt water for sure. You'll need to get a little further North in the bay of Green Bay or out on Lake Michigan for better viz and more really cool wrecks. Check with those guys and see if they do the E.R. Williams and or the Roen Barge and Tug. You'll really like those! Welcome to my back yard!

Jim

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Wed May 02, 2012 4:31 pm

- I just got my HPR and was ready to install it with a Mistral diaphragm when I got an email saying the DA metal tabbed diaphragms are better. I've been kind of busy and catching bits and pieces of the other thread to learn how to install the HPR. I'll go back through and try to read it all but if there's a quick link to the correct and complete instructions, I'd appreciate it. - Thanx, SurfLung
- PS... Glad to hear you're on schedule for Fortune Pond SwimJim! I'm planning to use my new HPR alot that weekend in the refreshing, clear water. I've got some Antelope Cheddar brats I can bring along for your cooker, too!
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Wed May 02, 2012 5:02 pm

I'll be up at Fortune Pond Saturday to do a couple quick dives. I'll be getting my HPR wet. If my readjustment of the venturi seems correct, I'll take her down to 140 and give her the cold and deep test. Expected conditions 100 foot viz, 38F bottom temp. Can't wait.

Jim

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed May 02, 2012 5:38 pm

SurfLung wrote:- I just got my HPR and was ready to install it with a Mistral diaphragm when I got an email saying the DA metal tabbed diaphragms are better.
Please elaborate....I'm curious to know how they came to this conclusion. :?:
luis wrote:I have been doing some testing with the two stage diaphragm with the metal disc, in combination with the new production parts, and what I have tested so far works well. It actually breathes extremely well… maybe a bit too good (I know this sounds odd). Just be aware of the higher potential for some minor free flow (more like some bubbling).

The potential for some bubbling will be again more likely when the exhaust is above the diaphragm… like when you are on your back looking at he surface.

If you decide to try the metal plate diaphragm, make sure the tabs do no interfere with anything. You can either line them up on the sides of the new lever, or better yet bend them flat.

For most divers I still think that the single stage diaphragm is probably a better choice. It will provide an excellent breathing regulator with superb reliability. The metal disc diaphragm pushes the performance closer to the edge.

I personally like pushing the edge, but I will recommend against it for those who dive in near freezing water temperatures. These regulators (actually most double hose regulator) are very robust against freezing free flows, but there is no point on pushing the limit.

The venturi effect on the production units is also extremely good. It actually is a bit better than the prototype. In the unit I am testing there is really no need to block the bleed air port in order to get close to maximum venturi effect. I can actually only partially block one of the two bleed holes before the venturi becomes too powerful.

You can tell the venturi effect is too powerful when you take a medium to deep breath and more air goes out the exhaust than you are inhaling. Actually, it is too powerful if any air is wasted out the exhaust while you are inhaling no matter how hard you breathe.

It is not recommended to tune the venturi effect too close to the edge. There are too many variables that will affect the venturi and it can make it somewhat unpredictable.
Install instruction are found on pages 4 and 5
http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/forum/ ... =26&t=6329
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Wed May 02, 2012 6:32 pm

- Thanx Bryan... That's the stuff I originally read and I also just re-read through all of the posts on that thread. I'll be installing it with the plastic plate single stage diaphragm. I think my friend was thinking of the ability to tune for the ragged edge of free flow performance with the metal plate DA diaphragms... I can see where some of the later discussion went in that direction.
- BTW, I just ordered the last two HPRs you had in stock at VDH. They'll go on my other two Phoenixes. You and Luis better make up some more! :D
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

gj1963
Master Diver
First Name: Geoff

Thu May 03, 2012 8:37 pm

Checked the mail today to find a label from Allan and an adjustment tool from Herman. This to go with the HPR that got here a few days ago. Got it all set up on my Phoenix with a new single stage diaphragm. Very nice work all, I can't wait to use it!

-Geoff

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”