Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Phoenix port plugs?

Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:51 pm

Is a there some magical sized o-ring or port plug of which I am unaware, because I have tried all 25 port plugs that I have and several durometers of -10 and -11 o-ring and I cannot get my phoenix nozzle to stop extruding o-rings for the life of me. Has anyone else had this happen? I can literally see the o-ring when the port plug is screwed in all the way on several of my ports, and when I charge the regulator they take turns extruding.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Phoenix port plugs?

Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:28 pm

I've seen it happen a few times but only when the port plugs are installed, not when hoses are screwed into the ports....Do you have any plugs that are shaped more like a nail head as opposed to the slim design with the small diameter head? 90 durometer O-rings help.....Or you should complain to the guy that sold it to you cause he cares and will give you some coco and a hug :lol:
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Ron
Site Admin

Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:57 pm

I hate you Bryan :lol: :lol:

What I ended up doing is filing down some standard port plugs with a locksmith's file. I also used 90 durometer -10 viton o-rings. It works like a champ now, so if anyone runs into this issue here is "a" way to do it. 8)

BTW, pictures will follow when I am done with the phoenix '58 edition.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:46 pm

For what it's worth, I use old style hex head ones in the LP ports and the "standard" new allen wrench style in the HP ports - for no other reason than I like the look.. So far I have not had any problems with either.
Herman

vshearer

Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:51 pm

Dial down that IP from #220. :mrgreen:

bbain
Vintage Diver

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:36 pm

I had a similar problem. One thing I noted is that on the "dome" port plugs, it was really important to use the correct O ring size. Some of the plugs had slightly larger O rings (#11 instead of #10, I think), and while that didn't seem to bother the old hex-style plugs, the "new" dome-headed ones didn't like the larger O rings and extruded them nearly every time. I went through a lot of O rings until I figured that out! YMMV.

Ron
Site Admin

Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:44 am

As an aside, every modern American scuba regulator uses -11 o-rings and 3/8" port plugs for all low pressure accessories. I believe the phoenix is countersunk for -10 o-rings. At least this is what I gather because I have only gotten the plugs to seal with -10 o-rings. Luis would have to confirm this but micrometer reading seem to support my theory.

jbrians
Lung Diver

Mon May 17, 2010 9:39 am

I dug around thru my parts bin to find 3 hex-head port plugs because mine all extruded as well.

Ron
Site Admin

Mon May 17, 2010 6:16 pm

I just filed the allen head ones down with a locksmith's file and they worked great. I think they are just a tiny bit too long (at least mine were) when you use the allen head ones.

jbrians
Lung Diver

Tue May 18, 2010 7:50 am

slonda828 wrote:I just filed the allen head ones down with a locksmith's file and they worked great. I think they are just a tiny bit too long (at least mine were) when you use the allen head ones.

Never even looked at that as a possibility.

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”