antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

SAFE SCUBA (NASDS textbook)

Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:22 am

SAFE SCUBA, by Bill Hogan, was an early to mid 70's textbook used by NASDS. I lost my copy years ago, but hoping somebody here has one and can look up a quote about the SOS Decompression Meter. In the edition that I had I recall the text saying something to the effect that the dive tables were too complicated for repetitive diving, and you should purchase the meter instead. The book seemed like more of a Scubapro sales promotion than a textbook. :?

NASDS had a real hard-sell line to help the stores sell Scubapro gear. We were NAUI, but had good friends with NASDS shop, and gave them a hard time about it standing for "National Association of Screw the Diver Stores".

If you have a copy and can find that info on the SOS, please post as much of the information as you deem interesting... especially the part that I mentioned above.
The older I get the better I was.

Britmarine
VDH Moderator
First Name: David

Re: SAFE SCUBA (NASDS textbook)

Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:31 am

This is what the book's front cover looks like:
Here is the reference from the NAUI International Bibliography of Diving and Related Sciences, compiled by Stephen W. Collins:

HOGAN, William F. Safe Scuba. NASDS Publication, Minneapolis, Minnesota: Printing, Inc, 1971.

I have two copies of the book, a second (1972) and a fourth edition (1974). Here is the Second Edition page 56 about the "Decompression Computer" with its Scubapro markings:
Decompression.jpg
Just in case the text isn't clear enough:
Decompression2.jpg
Is this the wording you were expecting?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

antique diver
Master Diver

Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:33 am

Thank you Britmarine, that's the quote I was looking for. I thought you might be the one to find it! :)

".... this instrument is a necessity when Scuba diving."

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:01 pm

Had it out to scan for the weekend...
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

antique diver
Master Diver

Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:34 am

Thank you, Bryan!

lakediver
Lung Diver
First Name: George

Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:55 pm

On page 81 of SAFE SCUBA it shows a diver breathing directly off the tank valve. Was this actually taught at the time? It seems dangerous to me.

antique diver
Master Diver

Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:19 pm

lakediver wrote:On page 81 of SAFE SCUBA it shows a diver breathing directly off the tank valve. Was this actually taught at the time? It seems dangerous to me.
Yes, some instructors actually had students try that.

While probably not a very practical thing to do, it did demonstrate comfort and control underwater in the pool. Keep in mind that in the late 60's and even later, most courses were longer and tougher, and the people taking classes were generally all pretty good "water-men" (or water-people) to start with. Students had time to develop a higher level of comfort, and many were eager to try tougher things.

With a class full of young and eager water-people it didn't seem all that difficult for them to do this. I was more concerned about someone breaking a tooth.
I wouldn't advocate that now, but I may have been guilty of it way back when. :roll: Don't tell anyone. :?

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:19 pm

I never had students do it in basic class but all open water students did it in the pool as one of several "confidence" building exercises.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:22 pm

The Club I was in in the Early 60's did a demonstration of the divers swimming the length of the pool underwater no mask no reg,just tank.
Gen Betz also taught this an early Nasds, Naui instructor.
Jerry Nasds Ow Inst 1588 ssi 5927

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:04 pm

We did it in the pool ( breathing off tank) NAUI Basic Scuba Class (1972)

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:08 am

We did the "tank only" drill in 1994 and yes it was a confidence builder.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

uwstlth
Master Diver
First Name: kevin

Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:02 pm

SeaHuntJerry wrote:The Club I was in in the Early 60's did a demonstration of the divers swimming the length of the pool underwater no mask no reg,just tank.
Gen Betz also taught this an early Nasds, Naui instructor.
Jerry Nasds Ow Inst 1588 ssi 5927
I know of at least 2 civilian instructors here in SoCal that still REQUIRE this for their advanced students. No pass, No card... they also do a night nav dive that would make you cry... starts at La Jolla Cove, ends at the bathrooms at La Jolla shores. You need to exit the water within 50 feet of them to pass that evolution. If you get caught doing a sneak and peek you are O U T of the class. As you can imagine this isn't your tourist PADI course...

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”