scubasteve59
Master Diver
First Name: Steve

Cousteau Books

Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:40 am

Heads Up.

Just procured two Cousteau books off the E bait at rock bottom prices. Father the Captain hardback for $4.50 and The Sea King paperback for $2.99. Prices included shipping and there were a few more available as of today. Both are NEW>

Re: Cousteau Books

Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:25 pm

Thanks for the heads up! I just completed my order.

I some how suspect since the book has already gone into the remainder category. The book did not sell as expected and the name Cousteau does not have the appeal that it did a generation ago.

It will be interesting to compare JMC's impression of his father with other Cousteau books, especially "Cousteau; an unauthorized biography' by Axel Madsen..ISBN 0-8253-0386-9, Published in 1986, which was a tell all book.

Thanks again for the heads up~
SDM

scubasteve59
Master Diver
First Name: Steve

Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:44 am

Update: The Sea King book just arrived, it is new hardback as well. $2.99 including shipping...wow! If now I could only meet Jean Michel and ask him to sign both...:)

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:04 pm

I always enjoyed reading the good Captain’s books. Although some of his contemporaries viewed him in a different light, the few times our paths crossed he was always cordial and would eagerly and happily talk with me about the early days of diving and especially his love of always tinkering around with dive gear to try and improve function and performance. Anyway, he was kind enough to sign my somewhat tattered First Edition of “The Living Sea.” A copy of his autograph in that book is attached. The last time I spoke with him was at a dinner about six months before he passed away in 1997. Here is a picture of my wife and I with Dr. Sylvia Earl and Capt. Cousteau. As you can see he is pointing something out to my wife. I tease her that he was probably drawing a map for her on how to find his hotel room.

Mark

"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:33 pm

Mark,
Just saw your post on JYC...
Is your wife, like you wearing glasses?
I was shocked, yet I recall you have been married 20 years? Seems like only yesterday!
By the way the gentleman who I obtained the Sea Hunt tapes from so many years ago for your then girlfriend was Sea Hunt Jerry who posts to this board.
As you know I was the US Divers company instructor for many years and was in contact with JYC - therefore had him also autograph a number of his books for me.
All is well
SDM

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”