sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Above and Below by Tom Shelnick

Thu May 02, 2013 12:25 pm

This was a very fun read and can be completed in a day of flying or over a long weekend of rainy weather.

Mr. Shelnick describes some very harrowing ordeals: A cemmercial project in the Phillipines where he encounters an unexploded mine from WWII, an excauvation of a coral reef in Florida while they try to find Spanish gold and the rescue of some people from a sunken barge. All good stories.

The first story involves a recovery gone sideways.... I had to sort of wade through that first chapter since it wasn't the brain candy I was looking for, but after that, the book is a very enjoyable read and easy to get through.

There is one story that involves a mine and a couple miners, which had me wondering if it wasn't the inspiration for a Sea Hunt episode. I can't find any link though, between Tom Shelnick and Sea hunt on my Google searches.

If you get a chance, this is well worth the time.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

Re: Above and Below by Tom Shelnick

Thu May 02, 2013 6:54 pm

There are several dive books with "Above and Below" as a primary title, Such as the Crile's book on US UW parks, and numerous books with the title, is there a sub title to your book?

what is the ISBN or ICCC number?

Date published?

Cover type?

SDM

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Re: Above and Below by Tom Shelnick

Thu May 02, 2013 7:08 pm

Dr. Miller,

I'm at work right now, but will get information for you this evening.

The book is a hard cover and appears to have a library tag on the bottom of the binding. It is credited to Tom Shelnick with Ray Cristina.

Amazon shows the publish date of 1966 and 171 pages.

If you would like this for your library, PM your address and I'll get it in the mail to you.

Respectfully,

Dave
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”