LAST OF THE BLUE WATER HUNTERS

Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:59 am

"Last of the Blue water hunters" by Carlos's Eyles

A small 185 page paper back book about Long Beach Neptunes SoCal spear fishermen on a spear fishing trip into the wilds of Baja.

It has become classic in a very short time a and is demanding classic books prices - $80.00 to $304.90;

Last of the Blue Water Hunters, Revised
1. Trade paperback, Aqua Quest Publications, 2005
$80.08
Condition:
Fair

2.Last of the Blue Water Hunters
$97.47
Condition:
Good

3.Last of the Blue Water Hunters
$107.22
Condition:
Good

4.The Last of the Blue Water Hunters
$150.00
Condition:
Good

5.Last of the Blue Water Hunters, Revised
$205.68
Condition:
Good

6.Last of the Blue Water Hunters, Revised
$214.75
Condition:
Good

7.Last of the Blue Water Hunters
$293.11
Condition:
Very Good

8.Last of the Blue Water Hunters
$304.90
Condition:
Very Good

I would suspect the title and the price will prohibit most diving bibliophiles who post on this board from purchasing it. But you never know when you walk into a book store and there it is ...staring at you in the bargin book table for a buck--so heads up! (especially the Canadian book hound of the frozen north - he is like those truffle hunting pigs- he smells hidden books.)

I know (knew?) all the divers on the trip as well as Carlos. He and I were both members of the Long Beach Neptunes Spear Fishing club but at different times, (about 30 -40 years apart). We also moved away from SoCal to CenCal about the same time. He settled in a very small bucolic beach side town of Cayucos for many years. During this period in Carlos' life we were occasionally in contact , it was apparent that he was enjoying the tranquil life of the California central coast but longed for his native state of Hawaii and all to soon he was gone. Back were he belonged-- to Hawaii

Yes I have this book and most of Carlos's books personally inscribed to me by Carlos to me- And Yes I am delighted to note the price increase!

SDM

Popeye
Master Diver

Re: LAST OF THE BLUE WATER HUNTERS

Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:54 pm

Check Powell's Books in Portland,Or. I purchased one for $14.50 last August when I was in the NW.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:44 am

You can find The Last of the Blue Water Hunters all over SoCal for $5.00 to $15.00, but that is were it was written and also the center of US spearfishing...For some unexplained strange reason the book sellers are askinthe escalated prices and I must assume they are receiving the prices.
Life is certainly stranger than fiction...
SDM

DaleC
Master Diver
First Name: Dale

Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:00 am

My ears are ringing...

I already have it Dr Sam and it is one of my more favorite reads for expressing the sense of joy that the author felt regarding his pursuits. He had a poetic style and makes one want to have been part of those earlier times.

Lucky you :)

NAVED #203
#20 International Brotherhood for the Assistance of Stateless Persons

Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:38 pm

I am not surprised, but concurrently delighted you have the book and read it!
Great find!

SDM

atlanticaction
First Name: atlantic

Fri May 31, 2013 3:47 pm

Interesting prices. Where did you see those listings? The last 3 posted on eBay were listed for $29, $19 and $17, and none of those sold.

Fri May 31, 2013 4:20 pm

I generally always search the professional sellers on Alibris, Ocean Enterprises (Peter is the world's greatest dive book merchant-his son is also named Sam) and finally verify via E bay.
Prices can vary from week to week depending on a number of factors. Some times a book becomes desirable for some unknown reason and the price escalates, other times the price can tumble into the depths.
You might want to check out the prices of Leon Lyon's "Helmets of the deep" on earlier on this board. The book originally cost $250.00 escalated to over $4000.00!

SDM

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”