First Name: Adair

Skin Diver Magazine Collection

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:53 pm

Hi all,
I would like to share with you my happiness. I'm in shock!!! :o :o :o
Today, the collection of Skin Diver magazines arrived at my home. :D
After long searching, I found a great treasure!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I'm speachless to describe my feeling. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I would like to share the first pictures of the years 1951 to 1959.
*******Adair*******

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Skin Diver Magazine Collection

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:34 pm

:D
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:41 pm

That is a great find!

eskimo3883
Master Diver

Re: Skin Diver Magazine CollectionA

Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:09 pm

That is a very rare set. Very envious. I have tried to pull together some when i could find them and its not easy to go back very far. I have heard there are only a dozen copies of number one and those are not all in great shape. 1952s don't come very often either. Your bound set looks like as perfect as you can get. Do you have an opinion on how many complete sets there are?
“A skin diver is a fellow who pulls on a pair of fancy swimming trunks, some rubber fins, a diving mask and canvas gloves, then fills his lungs with air and noses down into the ocean looking for two fisted trouble.”

adairrj
Master Diver
First Name: Adair

Re: Skin Diver Magazine CollectionA

Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:23 pm

eskimo3883 wrote:That is a very rare set. Very envious. I have tried to pull together some when i could find them and its not easy to go back very far. I have heard there are only a dozen copies of number one and those are not all in great shape. 1952s don't come very often either. Your bound set looks like as perfect as you can get. Do you have an opinion on how many complete sets there are?
Yes! They are is in great shape! :D
I have no idea how many complete sets there are!
*******Adair*******

Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:55 pm

A HUGE CONGRATULAIONS!

You now have the holly grail of vintage diving and are a member of a very exclusive club..Membership world wide of about twenty lucky divers.

A brief history of the magazine and the people in the first issue can be found at:
Skin Diver Magazine by Dr. Sam Miller - Legends of Scuba Diving
http://www.internationallegendsofdiving ... 090605.htm - 42k - similar pages

"The year was 1951, the month was December and Skin Diver Magazine subtitled "A magazine for skin divers and spear fishermen" was born. It was a thin ..."

SDM

DaleC
Master Diver
First Name: Dale

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:02 pm

Fantastic! I wish I lived next door to you :)
NAVED #203
#20 International Brotherhood for the Assistance of Stateless Persons

kgehring
Master Diver

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:23 pm

Awsome! I am only missing about 7 issues.
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:07 am

FYI......

I have a complete mint bound set of "Skin Diver" magazine (1951 to it's demise) including every diving equipment catalog published to 1990 and all the International Underwater Film Festival programs. This is the only set of its kind in existence any where in the world.

Complete bound sets of “Dive”, “NDA News”, American Scuba Diver”, Aquarius”, "Water World", "Underwater", "Fathom", "Sport Diving”, "Underwater Photographer",” California Diver,” "California Diver 11" “ Pacific Diver”, “SCUBA PRO Diving and Snorkeling”, “Diving and Snorkeling Quarterly” “Ocean Realm”, all of which are no longer published. Maintain and bind current sets of “Dive Training”, “Sport Diver”, Historical Diver” (USA)
The only known complete set of “Pacific and Atlantic Underwater News”, published from 1966 to 1971. It was the first newspaper devoted entirely to the underwater world. (recall this one??)

The largest and most complete set of civilian dive training manuals beginning with the Spaco manual of 1949 to the davent of the electronic format.

All the USN diving manuals beginning with the original 1905 "Manual for Divers" to the conversion to electronic format

I have published articles on sport diving in the NAUI News, Los Angeles County Underwater News, Skin Diver, Dive, Discover Diving, Aqua Corps, Historical Diver, Arizona Diving News, Southwest Diver Magazines, Historical Diving Times (UK), Free Diving and Spear Fishing News (Australia) etc.

From June 1999 to August 2002 I wrote a twice-monthly column “Dive Bubbles” for the five cities Times Press Recorder newspaper. It is reported that this column was the first and only regularly scheduled diving newspaper column in California and possibly the United States

In May 1996 I organized and hosted the very first US diving bibliophile meeting. It was attended by diving bibliophiles from the western US and via telephone from throughout the US. (if I had know you -you could have attended)

I have collected and maintain an extensive 1500 plus volume diving library, the majority of which are rare out of print books. Many have been personally inscribed by the authors who were also friends and diving companions,in addition to being noted diving authorities; Bill Royal, John Reseck Jr., James Dugan, Clint Degn, John D. Craig, (2) Dick Schroeder, two (2) Eugenie Clark, two (2) Bill Barada & Lloyd Bridges, two (2) Dr. Terry Mass, two (2) Francis "Doug" Fane and (4) F. M. Roberts, (4) Dr.Bruce Halstead, (6) six by Sir Arthur C.Clarke, six (six) by Dr. Hans Hass, five (5) by Lotte Hass, seven (7) by Clive Cussler and seven (7) by J.Y. Cousteau, and many more long forgotten diving authors too numerous to list

Only person to publish articles, and appear on the front cover and be a guest editor in history of SDM .

I had four dedicated columns and one dedicated news paper colum

Upon my demise the entire collection will go to my son, Dr Samuel Miller, IV, who is a ER/Hyperbaric doctor,Pro 5000 and NAUI (Life) and PADI instructor.'''

Now you know......

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”