DaleC
Master Diver
First Name: Dale

The Naked Warriors by Fane/Moore

Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:41 am

In July I visited a huge used bookstore in Penticton while on vacation and after about 3 hours of browsing still hadn't found a diving book I did not already possess or want. Almost admitting defeat I took one last look in the nautical section and found this one...

"The Naked Warriors" The story of the U.S. Navy's Frogmen by Cdr. Francis D. Fane USNR (Ret.) and Don Moore. This copy is a 1995 HC edition (Originally printed in 1956) by the Naval Institute Press, Annapolis Maryland. It tells the story of the formation of the UDT, how the teams were structured and accounts of their actions at Normandy, the Pacific and into the Korean conflict.

Well written in a matter of fact way with a lot of detail regarding who did what when and where. One is really left with a sense of how courageous these guys must have been to swim onto heavily defended beaches with friendly fire coming over in their heads armed only with a knife and some aluminum tinted grease for protection.

Also curious to note that the first use of the aqualung for combat purposes did not occur until some time in Korea - any guesses as to who and for what purpose (Pg. 252)?

NAVED #203
#20 International Brotherhood for the Assistance of Stateless Persons

Re: The Naked Warriors by Fane/Moore

Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:10 pm

Dale,
Another great find!

I am moving to Canader eh? and just following you from store to store picking up your tailings..These quality books have disappeared from the US stores...all that I come across are PADI basic diver manuals.

I knew Doug Fane and have both edition of his book inscribed to me..He was quite a fellow..In his later years he lived with his son and had a Brazilian girl friend who like Doug loved to dance the night away..right to the day he passed away at age 85 about 10 or so years ago.

There is a 1950s Hollywood movie staring Dan Daly as Doug and a young Zale Parry as Doug's daughter. It had a different name - Hollywood would not allow the use of the term "Naked" in the title--how times have changed!

Keep Searching -- you are developing a great historical reference library

SDM

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”