sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Diary of the Depths, by Robert Ellis Cahill

Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:50 pm

Just finished reading Diary of the Depths. There are a lot great short stories in it from various divers as retold by Mr. Cahill.

One of my favorites was the dive on the Texas Tower. There's also a couple stories relating to a murder mystery that would make a great film for vintage divers.

Tarpon Springs is also in the story about sponge divers, which got me to reminiscing about a Sea Hunt episode that had the guy from Jeannie in it.

Over all a great book.

It's also signed, but I have no way of verifying the signatures:

I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

DaleC
Master Diver
First Name: Dale

Re: Diary of the Depths, by Robert Ellis Cahill

Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:28 pm

Johnny Greco played by Larry Hagman - Mike Nelson showed him how to box. The best part of that episode is when Mike gets a look at his girlfriends mother and beats a hasty retreat... but we digress.

Can you give some details as to year printed and publisher? Thanks for the review.
NAVED #203
#20 International Brotherhood for the Assistance of Stateless Persons

sitkadiver
Master Diver

Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:34 pm

Dale,

I'm going camping/diving this weekend.(31st is the last day of King Crab season) I'll get the info for you Sunday night or Monday.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:27 am

DaleC wrote:Johnny Greco played by Larry Hagman - Mike Nelson showed him how to box. The best part of that episode is when Mike gets a look at his girlfriends mother and beats a hasty retreat... but we digress.

Can you give some details as to year printed and publisher? Thanks for the review.
Wasn't that his girl friends sister? Hilarious show filmed at Tarpon Springs. A really neat place even today.

DaleC
Master Diver
First Name: Dale

Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:46 pm

That may be... now I have to watch it again to find out.
NAVED #203
#20 International Brotherhood for the Assistance of Stateless Persons

Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:51 am

My copy s also signed -- I am under the impression the unsigned copy will be the rare collectable copy.

I also enjoyed the Texas Tower chapter'

Over the years I have met and/or came in contact with a number of people highlighted in the book.

SDM

sitkadiver
Master Diver

Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:16 pm

DaleC wrote:Johnny Greco played by Larry Hagman - Mike Nelson showed him how to box. The best part of that episode is when Mike gets a look at his girlfriends mother and beats a hasty retreat... but we digress.

Dale,

It was copyrighted in 1972 and the publisher is Dorrance and Company of Philadelphia.
ISBN 0-8059-1721-7

Dr. Miller,

It's good to know you have a signed copy also. I'm not hoping for a high value, I just think it's neat that the signatures appear to be legitimate.

eskimo3883
Master Diver

Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:57 pm

I agree, my all time favorite sea hunt scene is when Mike takes a look at the family photo, sees what the hot gap will end up looking like, and runs out of the house leaving her for Hagman. My favorite episode is when Mike discovers marajuana - kelp hybred being grown under water.
“A skin diver is a fellow who pulls on a pair of fancy swimming trunks, some rubber fins, a diving mask and canvas gloves, then fills his lungs with air and noses down into the ocean looking for two fisted trouble.”

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”