DaleC
Master Diver
First Name: Dale

Geek seeks interested proof reader :)

Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:04 am

I've written an article for my website about the evolution of the modern dive mask (which has a vintage component to it) and would be interested in any constructive technical comments about it. I'm looking for errors, missed content etc...

http://www.manfish.ca/the-evolution-of- ... -mask.html

I plan to upgrade the content and photo's as I learn/discover/take more.

Thanks,

Dale.
NAVED #203
#20 International Brotherhood for the Assistance of Stateless Persons

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Re: Geek seeks interested proof reader :)

Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:46 am

Dale,

I'd be happy to proof read it for you. You can e-mail me or let me know if you want my address so I can get crazy with the red ink....... buuuaarrrhaaaa :evil:

Also, have you read Dr. Miller's article on the same subject? Might check what he has to say, would want to check facts before submitting an article if the facts didn't jive with his.

http://internationallegendsofdiving.com ... 071707.htm

Dave
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

DaleC
Master Diver
First Name: Dale

Re: Geek seeks interested proof reader :)

Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:02 am

Hah hah hah, I'm such an idiot. The link is now in my original post. Thanks Dave.

I just read Dr Sam's article. It makes me happy that he writes about those kinds of experiences because that is something that someone who comes along later, like me, cannot reproduce. The actual first hand accounts.

In the article I refer to John Cuthill's thesis in which he also captured interviews with some of the first divers in British Columbia wherein they describe their "on the job" learning curves. Invaluable.

I also smiled because I am already familiar with the fellow he is talking about as he was one of the people highlighted in Carlos Eyles book "The Last of the Blue Water Hunters."

My article looks at the mask from a different angle, and I wasn't around when these changes were occurring but I think I got it right. There is one adaptation I may add regarding the introduction and evolution of corrective lens from Dr Ivanoffs (sp) time too.
I don't imagine the content is particularly ground breaking for the regular members of this forum. The focus of the article in my mind is to help the average diver (like members of my local club) to think about the mask they use and how it came about and, hopefully, to encourage them to pick a an older book or two.
NAVED #203
#20 International Brotherhood for the Assistance of Stateless Persons

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”