Popeye
Master Diver

Sealab: America's Forgotten Quest to Live and Work on the Oc

Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:45 pm

email from Amazon informs me my copy of "Sealab: America's Forgotten Quest to Live and Work on the Ocean Floor" by Ben Hellwarth has been shipped.

after a few false notices of publication, it looks like I'll have something to read this weekend with my red pen.

DaleC
Master Diver
First Name: Dale

Re: Sealab: America's Forgotten Quest to Live and Work on th

Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:31 am

Looking forward to your perspective Bernie. Along with mini subs, UW hab's were one of my first and continuing fascinations with the sea and it would be interesting to hear the thoughts of one who was there.
NAVED #203
#20 International Brotherhood for the Assistance of Stateless Persons

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:29 pm

Give em hell Bernie. I guess this means you are not sending me an autographed copy?
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:40 am

I just chatted with a old friend who ran into Black Jack of Sea Lab fame..he is way up in the 90s and sharp as a tack...

sdm

Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:20 am

Sorry full name...

"Black" Jack Tragasser (spelling)

Popeye
Master Diver

Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:55 pm

Commander Jack M. Tomsky USN (ret) 93 years young.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:35 am

Thats him!
Commander Jack M. Tomsky USN (ret) 93 years young.

My mind set was on the WW11 author Richard ??? andsome how it came out as Tragasser-rather than Tomski...

Have not seen or had contact with him for years...You are in contact with all the USN types...do you have his e mail ?

SDM

Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:00 am

Finally the correct name: (had to check my library!)

Richard Tregaskis,

The author whose best-known work is "Guadalcanal Diary" written during World War II and published in 1943.
He also wrote about the Korean War--- my war.

SDM

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:04 pm

- I read the book just recently. What an amazing story. The idea for Saturation Diving originates with an Ozark Mountains country doctor who goes into the Navy in his middle age, gets assigned to Submarine escape systems... Pushes the limits of Free Ascent by demonstrating it himself from 300 feet down.
- He comes up with the idea for Saturation Diving but can't get any support. So he and his diving buddies experiment on their own time and money, collecting data on animals in pressure chambers. They learn what gas mixtures work and formulate decompression schedules. He freely shares what he knows with Cousteau and Edwin Link... And they start their own projects. The guy who launched COMEX was working for Cousteau... But ultimately went out on his own and made a huge Saturation diving industry for the offshore oil industry.
- Everything originated with those Navy Sea Lab guys but all of the publicity and accolades went to Cousteau, Link, and Comex... Oh, but there's more to the story and I won't reveal it... Great Book... You will enjoy it!
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”