tommytuna
First Name: Tom

Vintage Navy Manual

Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:18 pm

Hello, everyone.
Newcomer here. I've been looking at different sites educating myself about vintage Navy salvage diving. My dad was proud of serving during WWII in this capacity...never made it overseas...was stationed in Ft. Lauderdale...but did do some recuperation diving for some aircraft that went down in training. Well, my dad passed away 2 years ago and I've been going through some of his things for my mom. One of the military items he kept was his 1943 Navy Diving Manual that he used in 1944. She asked me to find out if it was worth anything since she no longer wanted it and is looking to liquidate as much as she can to move into senior apartments.

So, does anyone know if this paperback covered book is worth anything? The cover is detached from the binding but everything else is tip-top shape...no markings, etc. except for my dad's name and number on the cover. There is also a stamp that identifies that he was stationed at the "Deep Sea Diving School, Navy Yard, Washington, D.C." Along with the book are some legal-sized mimeographed pages giving instructions about the school and the rules, etc.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

YankDownUnder
Master Diver

Re: Vintage Navy Manual

Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:38 am

US Navy Diving Manuals are available on eBay and cost from $40 to $75, depending on their condition age and rarity. The most common one is the 1970. Collectors like them because they feature equipment in the navy inventory at that time. The Mark V appear from the beginning and continues to appear until about 1985. All divers were issued their own copy when they went through the school and each unit was required to have one available in their training room, if they used that type of equipment.

The US Army used the same manual, but with an army cover. When I first entered the army I saw the army publications list and ordered the diving manual. I opened it up and the navy one was inside.

I hope that helps, Steve

tommytuna
First Name: Tom

Re: Vintage Navy Manual

Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:38 am

Thanks, Steve.

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”