vintagemike6
Lung Diver

Amphibian-Jim Gott 1976

Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:27 pm

I found this book this last weekend scratching around a used bookshop and i think it is interesting for a few reasons. first, it was written right when we believe vintage ended and modern began. the author mention's the new bcd introduced from europe and the old mossbacks rejecting it.
this book is an easy read starting with his purchase of a lung as an 11 year old growing up in the bronx, then to marines where he served in vietnam, then to commercial diving school,then to scuba instructor at cougar sports in new york city.
i hope someone will chime in here and add more about Jim Gott and some more info on cougar sports, which started scuba sales in 1959 and formed NASDS.
I liked this book for the authors straight shooter talk about the real world of diving where he worked and lived in for a long time.
Spotlights..sirens..rifles..
it must be time for a jailbreak
Bon Scott-1976

Re: Amphibian-Jim Gott 1976

Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:45 am

I also have a copy of "Amphibian." I could never get in to the book, not even as a reference source, maybe I should have another look. Does your copy have a dust jacket?

Never the less congrats for saving another dive book from certain death. They are becoming very rare..grab every one you see.

NASDS, Aka National Association of Skin Diving Schools, is a California breed and born certification agency. John Gaffney; aka tha Gaf, Goffey Gaffney, was the founder and GM until his passing about 15 years ago. It was NASDS that gave us the VIP, and a number of other now industry standards.

During John's tenure he published two great full color magazines, "Dive" and "Aquarius"

Up on Johns passing NASDS was aquired by SSI, and soon disappeared.

Leader Bryan and I are NASDS instructors.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:30 am

Would really like to read that book as well!

John could talk a blue streak, smoked like a chimney, always carried a yellow legal pad and was extremely passionate about NASDS and the future for diving.

The Kemps Cow is one of us too Sam.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:23 am

You are so correct about John-- he was one of a kind! So many adventures, so many stories.........

One I will never forget--a party in Long Beach --John was late--finally appeared an hour late drunk as a skunk with out his then wife and he was some what disturbed.
Finally it came out...he was waiting for his wife to come home, she did and tripped over some diving equipment in the apartment. An arguement followed and she gave John and ultimatium "Stop diving or I am leaving!"
He folded his news paper and said That is not a hard decison to make, so long." So I went out for a few drinks before the party
Thus ended John's first marriage... Yep! he was one of a kind.

We were friends for so many years, but fought and argued about every thing, but always remained friends right to his end...For years he would call me up and moan...I knew it was John so I would say what do you want John? He would respond some thing to the effect "A good doctor, but I guess I dailed the wrong number" then we would chat or argue...

Dang I did forget about Kemps aka "Jerry of Coon Rapids" Apology

vintagemike6
Lung Diver

Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:20 pm

Good to see you back on the forum Sam!
this is a just a basic memoir of a guy making a living in the diving field in the late 60's and early 70's. i wouldn't use this book for much of a reference either, but i am glad he wrote it and that i found it. i liked his stories of diving in the ocean around new york and new jersey.
the copy i found has a dust jacket in good condition.
Spotlights..sirens..rifles..
it must be time for a jailbreak
Bon Scott-1976

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”