DANGEROUS MARINE ANIMALS--4 BOOKS..

Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:01 am

Dangerous Marine Animals
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is a three volume book set "Poisonous and venomous Marine Animals of the world" by Dr Bruce Halstead, LCCC 65-60000, hard cover with dust jackets published in 1965 by the US Government printing office. This work is the base line which all present and certainly future research will be based. There was nothing like it published prior to his research and certainly nothing of this magnitude will published by future researchers

Volume 1 is 994 Pages, Volume 11 consists of 1070 pages and volume three consists of 1006 8 -1/2 X 11 well illustrated pages. It has been recognized since it's publication over 40 years ago as the definitive base line work on dangerous marine life.

It's original publication price was $160.00 hard earned Yankee dollars. Some years ago a beat up well used research set sold for $750.00 on E bay, so I suspect that most do not have or have never seen or possibly heard of the set.

Yes I have the three volume set -- Inscribed to me by Dr. Halstead

There are several less expensive books also by Dr Halstead that is addressed to the layman. They are:

"Dangerous marine Animals-that bite, sting -are non-edible" published 1959,Cornell Maritime press, LCCC 58-59799, 146 pages, hard cover with dust jacket

The second edition;

"Dangerous marine Animals-that bite, sting -are non-edible" was revised and enlarged was published in 1980, ISBN 0- 87033-268-6, 208 pages, picture cover, no dust jacket.

Yes I have both editions inscribed to me by Dr Halstead. I first met him at a party at Bob Ruetherford's home in the mid 1950s. (see portage Quarry -Legends of diving--Sea Sabers signaling system) At that time he was just dreaming about doing extensive research on Dangerous Marine Animals and publshing a book...He did very well.......
The forth book "Poisonous Marine Animals" by Findlay E. Russell, published 1965 by T. F. Publications Ltd, Hong Kong, no ISBN or LCCC numbers,distributed by TF publications office in Neptune City New Jersey, 176 pages, picture cover, no dust jacket. Mr. (Dr?) Russell was associated with USC and the USC Medical center. His correct title or position is unknown. Much of the verbiage and illustrations are from Dr Halstead's previously mentioned work.

I purchased the book while attending a conference in the mid- west or possibly the east coast. I do not recall ever seeing the book in the local southern California stores.

It is noted that the book was also distributed in England, Canada, Singapore, and Australia,"

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”