Marineland diver--- Jake Jacobs

Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:47 am

Ever so often I check on the relative value of books in my library via one or more of the national/internationa used book sellers. I recently checked on "Marineland diver" which is inscribed by the author Jake Jacobs, whom I knew. I was surprised that a few copies are still available after the passage of over fifty years. As expected they have increased exponentially in value but are still some what reasonably priced, about $20.00 for a reader quality book to $100.00 for an inscribed bibliophile quality collector's book.

A little information about the book;

"Marineland diver
by
Jake Jacobs, as told to Sylvia Jacobs
History of the chief diver of the Marineland of the Pacific"

Hard cover, with dust jacket, 178 pages, illustrated with photographs
Dodd Mead & Company, NYC,1960
LCCC # 60-9655

Very interesting book for those of you who would enjoy Marineland of the Pacific as experienced through the eyes of Marineland's first chief diver.

There is very little SCUBA but lots of pictures of the "old Marineland" which was demolished around 30 years ago. There are a number of particularly interesting pictures; aerial view of M/L and the then surrounding vacant hills , huge lobsters, and bags full of abalone and Jake in several types of heavy gear.

His personal helmet is of interest..It is a Morse diving equipment twelve bolt one light that was curved around the helmet. The other helmets in the book are of a Miller-Dunn shallow water helmet, type 111, four light, which were always used at Marineland.

One very interesting chapter is chapter #six "Mountain of Purple Coral" describes diving Farnsworth bank in October 1945 - 64 years ago-with heavy gear...It was not dove by sports divers until 1960-49 years ago-(See SDM July 1960,) with the first dive charter in December 1960 by the then very active club the Sea Sabres.

Popeye
Master Diver

Re: Marineland diver--- Jake Jacobs

Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:57 pm

Sort of a period book, I have a copy I received on one of my trips to Marineland while on left coast in the mid 60s,Signed and inscribed by Jake Jacobs and signed by Sylvia Jacobs.

Popeye

Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:11 pm

I am impressed that Jake inscribed your book. He was always wet from his many aquatic duties at ML.

For some time the books were sold at the gift shop signed by Jake and Sylvia but no inscription.

I checked with the usual book merchants who had six books signed by the couple, no doubt hold overs from the gift shop. I probably should purchase one in the future..

Mine is inscribed as follows

'May 12, 1960

Thanks more that we can say!
Good diving!
Jake
Sylvia
Publication date May 23-1960"

<<< How about listing your Silent Worlds on the other thread ?
You have a great collection and it should be shared >>

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:26 pm

It's a shame that Marineland of the Pacific is long gone. At least Marineland of Florida still survives. I need to pay them a visit; haven't been in many years..
Quick Robin, to the Voitmobile!

eskimo3883
Master Diver

Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:32 pm

Hi 21,

I had considered this book quite rare because it took me a very long time to find a copy. Diving in the 1940s. 8 hours underwater. Giant lobster. Evolution of game laws. Marine Land. It is a very good read.
“A skin diver is a fellow who pulls on a pair of fancy swimming trunks, some rubber fins, a diving mask and canvas gloves, then fills his lungs with air and noses down into the ocean looking for two fisted trouble.”

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”