Silent World--Foreign editions

Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:03 am

For what seems like forever I have been collecting foreign and unique editions of the Silent World. so far I have the following

Die Schweigende Welt -German -2 different editions

Den Tause verden-- Swiss --I think

The Silent world - British 1953

Russian 2003

Readers Digest edition, Spring 1953 (very rare)

National Geographic edition--2007 (?)

And of course a number of paper backs.

I am interested in expanding my collection..Spanish, French, Italian, and whatever else I can locate.

I am especially interested in the edition translated by Antonio Ribera of Barcelona who translated the SW into Catalan. Last time I was in Barcelona I checked all over the town but could not find a copy

I do know that "Popeye" has a rather extensive collection of the Silent Worlds. Perhaps he will also identify his and post a picture of his collection.
It is impressive!

annectens
Skin Diver

Re: Silent World--Foreign editions

Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:53 pm

Antonio Ribera translated "The Silent World" to spanish ("El Mundo Silencioso", Ediciones Exito, Barcelona, 1954), but never to catalan. I have 2 exemplar in my collection, both signed by Ribera and J.Y. Cousteau.
Antonio Ribera was also a very prolific author and wrote a lot of books about diving, and his book "Els homes-peixos", 1954,was the first book about sport diving published in Spain. In 1953, Ribera grounded one of the first (if not THE first) diving centers of Europe at Tossa de Mar (about 100 km north from Barcelona at the Mediterranean Coast).
Nemrod Snark Silver III, Spiro Mistral, Rolleimarin, Calypsophot, Fenzy and... Land Rover series III

Re: Silent World--Foreign editions--response

Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:48 am

I am absolutely delighted that you posted the information about Sr. Ribera. He was well known in the US in the 50 & 60s but some how disappeared and became a man of mystery.

In my research I recall reading that he was one of the first to translate the S/W, but it was in Catalan. Since your initial post I have been researching my files for that tid-bit of information but can't locate it...it was either stolen or I just might have suspected it was translated into Catalin due to his home being in beautiful Barcelona (Las Rambles and tapis! WOW!)

As a result of your post I now realize that it was Spanish!

I recall a book In Spanish from Spain about the history and products of Nemrod. It was a very bright red hardback. I don't recall the title. Do you happen to recall it?

I am always searching for copies of the Silent World in any foreign language. However, even at this late date and dwindling supplies I only consider bibliophile quality books; must be hard back with a dust jacket in presentable condition, all the pages unmarked and intact,etc.

Should you ever come across a copy of the SW in that condition please advise.

We had also heard that Sr Ribera developed the large capacity vest that later became the Nemrod vest . As I recall the story he was a sales representative for Nemrod, but also dove in his spare time for the rare red coral (Candalinii ??). He needed assist for his ascent so he devised the large vest with the large inflation hose obtained from a double hose regulator. Can you verify this?

Warmest regards from sunny California,

Sniox
Master Diver

Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:08 pm

Hi 21.

"Den Tause Verden" is Norwegian

If you are interested in a Danish first edition, I can find one for you, I think the price will be $ 12 - 20 plus shipping.

Best regards

Sniox
"Life could be worse . . . I could be Sting" Ozzy Osbourne

Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:19 pm

Thank you for correctly identifying the book as Norwegian--I will make a note in it.

Yes I am interested in a Danish version, however not just any copy --I prefer, no demand, a book that is bibliophilic acceptable, no rips, tears, writing (previous owners name and inscription is acceptable) intact dust Jacket and Hard Back (aka hard covering.)

I have discovered in previous European transactions that the costs of mailing to California USA can be excessive. Do you know what the approximate cost of mailing would be?

There is a city about an hour away here on the central coast called "Solvang" which is reputed to be the most Danish city outside of Denmark. My family and I always enjoy a visit and generally gorge our selves on the wonderful cookies..And think of visiting Denmark some day and gorging our selves on the wonderful sandwiches of Oscar (?) (is it Hancock?)

Look forward to hearing from you,
21 (aka Sam)

Sniox
Master Diver

Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:51 pm

Hi Sam

I think my answer to you will be of topic, so I have send you an PM instead :wink:

Best regards

Sniox
"Life could be worse . . . I could be Sting" Ozzy Osbourne

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”