DiverTim
Master Diver

The Last Dive

Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:51 pm

I started reading this book today. I thought it would be an excellent followup to Shadow Divers. Tim
Pico Blvd DW Mistral
Double 38's
Double 72's
NAVED member 191

DiverTim
Master Diver

Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:09 pm

I finished The Last Dive and what a book. Deep Descent, Shadow Divers and The Last Dive should all be read together in that order! I usually do not read....actually I really never did read much, but I found myself captivated by those books. So what's next? Are there any more books along these lines? Tim
Pico Blvd DW Mistral
Double 38's
Double 72's
NAVED member 191

SDAquamaster

Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:01 am

Fatal Depth is basically a history of technical diving on the Andrea Doria along the same lines as Deep Descent.

On the Bottom is a book by Cmdr. Edward Ellsberg about raising the S-51 and Descent into Darkness is another helmet diving book that deals with salavage diving during WWII after the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Submerged, Neutral Buouyancy and Down Time are also good diving books.

My full cave instructor knew the Rouses and does not have kind words to say about them. He basically confirms the thought that they progressed too far, too fast and without the degree of discipline needed to do the kind of diving they were doing safely.

To be less kind, the phrase "they were a couple of idiots" came up a couple times along with some examples such as where they managed to silt out enormous portions of the Devil's System, putting several other teams at risk. But to put it in perspective this was from an ex special forces career soldier who prides himself on cave diving and instructing since the 70's and still being able to say that none of his former students has ever died in a cave or wreck. Consequently he does not suffer fools well.

DiverTim
Master Diver

Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:13 am

Well the Rouses' were known as the "Bicker Brothers" and it was written that some of the divers found this to be annoying. What I liked about the book was the way the author kept getting sidetracked with stories and it was filled with alot of information about diving. Some of the same stories about Chatterton and Kohler surfaced in all three books. Thanks for the info on some more books. I guess while I am waiting for the water to warm up, I am at least reading about diving. :lol: Tim
Pico Blvd DW Mistral
Double 38's
Double 72's
NAVED member 191

SDAquamaster

Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:22 pm

One thing I found as I read different books from different perspectives on the same events is the disagreement and inconsistencies from one to the other regarding what really happened.

It has been interesting since moving here and diving along the mid Atlantic coast and in north Florida and meeting some of the participants with first hand knowledge. It gives me a better feel for what versions of the various event in variosu books are more likely to be closer to what really happened. It has also been interesting getting a first hand feel for some of the politics and the differences of philosophy and opinion that have impacted the way events were recounted or interpreted.

In some respects it is like being in middle school all over again - lots of inmature, sometimes insecure, often ego driven people, lots of cliques and lots of rumor mongering. Cave and wreck diving could have its own soap opera.

SDAquamaster

Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:35 pm

I should add that Descent into Darkness was one of my favorites as it is a first person account of helmet diving and salvage operations on sunken vessels such as the Oklahoma. On the Bottom is a close second and just about any book written by Ellsberg is a good read given his very interesting naval career.

Daniel Lenihan's Submerged is also filled with first person accounts of some very interesting techncial dives. Lenihan had an impressive cave diving reputation even before he started diving for the National Park Service as he was one of the divers active toward the end of the golden age of Florida cave diving.

DiverTim
Master Diver

Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:11 am

Thanks, SD. I will put those books on my "to read list". My wife will apprecciate that! :lol: Tim
Pico Blvd DW Mistral
Double 38's
Double 72's
NAVED member 191

Scuba Cowboy
Master Diver

Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:58 am

What I liked best about the Last Dive was Bernie's story of his bends experience. One of the most detailed I've read, really drives home the point that its nothing you ever want to experience yourself. Stories like these are why, when I technical dive, my stage bottles stay on me at all times! I cannot understand the practice of taking them off on a wreck dive, especially when there's a chance you won't get back to them.
Dale Swift

DiverTim
Master Diver

Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:47 pm

Makes you wonder if Chris and Chrissy had found their stage bottles! Tim
Pico Blvd DW Mistral
Double 38's
Double 72's
NAVED member 191

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”