DiverTim
Master Diver

Deep Descent

Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:23 pm

I just finished reading this book and have to say it was very, very good. I actually didn't want to put it down. Next will be Shadow Divers. Tim
Pico Blvd DW Mistral
Double 38's
Double 72's
NAVED member 191

Gilldiver
Master Diver

Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:17 pm

Kevin did a pretty good job with Deep Decent. Kevin also wrote Dark Decent about diving the Empress of Ireland. Some others to read are Shadow Divers and The Last Dive.

I lived through most of the events that are written about in these books and have first hand or reliable second hand info on most of them. Some things in each book can bring back very happy memories, the Atlantic Wreck Divers and their “Song” in Shadows Divers will always have me laughing as I did sing it a few times with them (Beer, the true intelligence reducer!).

But the recounting of the deaths that I remember from either picking up people that were on the boat or talking them through it all over again is hard even after all these years. I either dove with or had beers with just about every one of the divers who passed. May they all rest in peace.

Pete Johnson
Double Hose Regulators, It not just a Hobby, it’s a Disease

DiverTim
Master Diver

Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:42 pm

The way the book was written, it was almost like you are there. How humbling to have rubbed shoulders with some of the "Scuba Gods"! :D I hope Shadow Divers will be just as good. Tim
Pico Blvd DW Mistral
Double 38's
Double 72's
NAVED member 191

Fibber McGee

Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:08 pm

I haven't read Shadow Divers yet, but the author did an interview on Coast-To-Coast-AM (formerly Art Bell's show) a few weeks ago and he was very interesting and the book sounds like a must read!

...I'm glad you reminded me to go look for a copy!!

:)

Gilldiver
Master Diver

Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:17 pm

The way the book was written, it was almost like you are there. How humbling to have rubbed shoulders with some of the "Scuba Gods"! I hope Shadow Divers will be just as good. Tim

To me, most of these guys were not SCUBA Gods, they were and still are just wreck divers.

We all have our bad sides and some are true SOB's and jerks on land, but in the water, they are the best.

The Atlantic Wreck Divers fit this to a T. The were/are extremly efficent in diving, working as a team getting artifacts, drinking beer, and making Asses of themselves.
Double Hose Regulators, It not just a Hobby, it’s a Disease

DiverTim
Master Diver

Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:55 pm

Sounds like alot of fun!!!! :lol: I have Shadow Divers on the way, I'll "dive" into it tonight. :wink: Tim
Pico Blvd DW Mistral
Double 38's
Double 72's
NAVED member 191

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”