eskimo3883
Master Diver

The shooting

Sun May 25, 2008 2:38 pm

I read about the shooting after her diagnosis in Man Under The Sea by James Dugan and in Stars Beneath The Sea by Trevor Norton minis some of 21’s details. The reference about a false diagnosis was in a listing for one of his non-dive books. I was thinking the misdiagnosis part was some sort of Urban Myth the seller added for intrigue. Then again, folks following his non-diving work might have more details than the diving community. I take it no one has heard of the misdiagnosis portion?
“A skin diver is a fellow who pulls on a pair of fancy swimming trunks, some rubber fins, a diving mask and canvas gloves, then fills his lungs with air and noses down into the ocean looking for two fisted trouble.”

eskimo3883
Master Diver

Guy's Wikipedia page

Sun May 25, 2008 4:42 pm

Hi,

The topic of Louise having her medical status card was swapped with that of someone else is listed in Guy's Wikipedia page. I guess this is where the book seller saw it. Still have no idea if it is true.

Guy's Wikipedia page:

Guy Gilpatric was born on 21 January 1896 in New York. He was the son of a Scottish immigrant. When he was seven years old he saw an airplane for the first time and decided he wanted to become a pilot. He succeeded at a very young age and in 1912 set the USA altitude record. He was a demonstration, stunt and test pilot and performed in various movies. For one movie it was planned he had to crash an airplane. Gilpatric did so and survived the crash. However, the recordings were not good so he had to do it again.

During World War I he was a fighter pilot for the US Army. He stayed in Europe and worked as a war reporter. After the war, Gilpatric lived in Antibes and worked as a publicity agent. It was there where he got the inspiration for his Mr. Glencannon stories, which were published in the Saturday Evening Post. In 1940, he and his wife Louise returned to the USA. In 1943, his book "Action in the North Atlantic" was made in to a film. Louise was hospitalised in 1950. By accident, her medical status card was swapped with that of someone else and she was told she was terminally ill. The couple then decided to commit suicide together, which they did on 7 July of the same year. After their deaths, the medical error was noticed.
“A skin diver is a fellow who pulls on a pair of fancy swimming trunks, some rubber fins, a diving mask and canvas gloves, then fills his lungs with air and noses down into the ocean looking for two fisted trouble.”

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”