eskimo3883
Master Diver

Information on Guy Gilpatrics wife???

Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:31 pm

I came across a story that Guy Gilpatrics wife Louise was hospitalised in 1950. By accident, her medical status card was swapped with that of someone else and she was told she was terminally ill. The couple then decided to commit suicide together, which they did on 7 July of the same year. After their deaths, the medical error was noticed.

I have read of their suicide together but I never heard of the mistaken diagnosis. Does anyone know this to be true and/or have a source for this info?
“A skin diver is a fellow who pulls on a pair of fancy swimming trunks, some rubber fins, a diving mask and canvas gloves, then fills his lungs with air and noses down into the ocean looking for two fisted trouble.”

gilpatric --John & Louise deaths --July 1950

Thu May 08, 2008 8:29 pm

What is your SOURCE for this story?

It does have a portion of truth in it-

John, 54, did shoot his wife Louise, 52, on Thursday July 6, 1950 at about 5;00 PM in the hall way of their Santa Barbara, California home. Their bodies were discovered at 1:30 AM on Friday July 7, 1950 by a neighbor who leased an apartment from them

On Thursday afternoon they returned from a visit to the doctor where it was confirmed that Louise had a massive lump in her breast; a malignant tumor, which in 1950 was considered a death warrant. They evidently entered their home walked into the bedroom where John shot his beloved wife in the back of the head two times and then shot himself in the mouth.

Source Santa Barbara News Page 1, Friday evening July 7, 1950.

eskimo3883
Master Diver

Mon May 12, 2008 10:44 am

I had read of her cancer and the shooting in a book. The twist of the story was from an e-bay listing of one of his novels. I was thinking it sounded like an urban legend but thought it odd anyone would bother to make something like this up.
“A skin diver is a fellow who pulls on a pair of fancy swimming trunks, some rubber fins, a diving mask and canvas gloves, then fills his lungs with air and noses down into the ocean looking for two fisted trouble.”

Gilpatric

Mon May 12, 2008 12:01 pm

What book?

Page number?

VINTAGESCUBA

Thu May 15, 2008 8:16 pm

Yes,I would like to know also.I have an autographed 1939 Complete Goggler with a dust jacket.Printed in England.I check his autograph against another.It's the real deal.He signed his name almost like it was printed.

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”