Turtleguy9
Skin Diver

Jaques Cousteaus Calypso

Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:19 am

Aloha All
My wife obtained a different sort of dive book for me.
Its Jaques Costeaus Calypso, by Jaques Cousteau and Alex Sivirine.
Copyright 1983. Its a leather bound book in its own case.
It says its a registered limited edition, copy 2227 of 2500. It has 210 illustrations, 185 of them in color.
The book really covers the history and modifications of Calypso, 1942 to 1983, and its conversion from the minesweeper J-826 of the British Navy, to ferry boat , to Research vessel.
The book has many excellent diving photos, showing many of the vintage configurations.
Just wondering if anyone else had ever seen a copy of the book?
Aloha Turtleguy9

fishb0y
Lung Diver

Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:45 am

I wish my wife would buy me stuff like that...

Sea Explorer
Master Diver

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:46 am

It is a fun book for sure. There is a non leather bound edition for the more budget minded. -Ryan
"A little less conversation a little more action. . ." -Elvis

www.flashbackscuba.com

JYC BOOK

Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:08 am

There were three bindings for this book;
1) paper back
2) cloth with a dust jacket
3) leather bound

The paper back is common and inexpensive

The cloth binding with a dust jacket is becoming rare--it is within the price range of the collector and good copies are being picked up at a some what reasonable prices

The leather presentation is rare--only 2500 issued with each edition numbered. It has not increased in value as would be expected, as I recall they were offered at $75.00, Now good quality editions appear on occasion for around $100.00 and UP...Not a great ROI.

Never the less it is a great book to be treasured as a family heirloom and a certainly a fantastic gift to receive!

Justleesa

Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:24 pm

Thank you for the great info Sam! I would say that the book is in brand new conditon - I basically took it out of a taped box! My grandfather had a business and would give books away to his customers as Christmas gifts. This was one of them.....I wonder how many more there are collecting dust in the basement.

Book--JYC Lisa

Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:37 pm

Please! Please Lisa, put me as Number one on your list for any others that may turn up!

SDM 21

Justleesa

Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:39 pm

Will do! My Grandmother is moving to an independent living place soon so they need to empty the house.....I think I'll be going over there in a month or two to stay with her a bit again - I'll look then :wink:

JYC book

Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:50 pm

I knew it!

I knew it all that clean living would pay off!

Didn't smoke and didn't chew...
....didn"t run around with girls that do

Thanks Lisa!

Justleesa

Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:49 am

OK, my Grandmother moved into a care home and going thru things she said she found a few more copies of the book. She would sell them for the price as Sam listed + shipping (from IL). They are basically BRAND NEW.

Message me if you are interested.

Justleesa

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:32 am

I'm due to call her tomorrow...Thanks!

Justleesa

Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:38 pm

She'll weigh it an let me know the cost..it might take a bit (life is kinda hectic). I'll get back to you ASAP

Robohips77
Master Diver

Scored

Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:38 am

I found a leather bound one on Amazon about a month ago in great condition. #251. Paid 75 for it. I am a happy person.
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

Re: Scored --JYC book

Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:01 pm

[quote="Robohips77"]I found a leather bound one on Amazon about a month ago in great condition. #251. Paid 75 for it. I am a happy person.[/quote]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So you are the ONE!
I also saw it ...did not immediately purchase. I was distracted away from the computer...

--came back and it had disappeared!

Certainly happy that you won it and it remains in the Family of Vintage Double Hose....Now aren't you glad you are a member and receive all this good advice??

Robohips77
Master Diver

Need one?

Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:09 pm

Sam did you ever find one yet? if so I will not search. I have a very close friend that is a librarian and she can find almost anything in good condition. Let me know if I can be of assistance.
Roger VF Received all mouthpieces by the way. One word, Outstanding.
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”