vintagemike6
Lung Diver

Treasure Diving Holidays-1954

Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:45 am

okay 21, this book, written by Jane & Barney Crile documents a few years of a family traveling to different parts of the u.s. and bahamas. can you add anything about this family's diving adventures and maybe an update on what became of them?
i must say i envy those kids being dragged around, "forced" to explore and discover the ocean world.
what they called a faceplate, i now call a mask.
mike

Criles--Barney, Jane & kids

Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:17 am

re: Criles

Barney took over his father's clinic the famed Cleveland Clinic in Ohio. Became well known and some what controversal in the medical field, authored four or five medical books.

Jane and Barney also authored another diving les-known and there fore rare book "More than Booty."McGraw-Hill-1965-LCC # 65-23819. Jane passed on before the book was published; Barney dedicated the book to her.

Barney married Carl Sandberg's daughter, Hilga. They co authored, as Hilga Sandburg & Barney Crile one diving book: "Above and below; a journey through our national Underwater parks" Mc Graw-Hill-1969, LCC # 76-98489.

Hilga authored a number of adult and childrens books.

Barney passed away about 12-15 years ago. Hilga, if still alive, would be in her mid -to upper 80s.

One of the girls, the "slow one" passed away. The other girls are married to doctors and are living a good life in Cleveland Ohio reaping the fruits of their grandfather and father's labors who made the CC world famous.

Barney,111 lives in New York city and is a producer for 60 minutes. Watch the show and every now and then his name appears as the producer.

None are envolved in diving as a hobby nor have they written any thing about their adventures in the early years of diving.

Barney authored three diving books, two with Jane and one with Hilga

Face plate was a common term used for a diving mask up to about 1955. Over the years there has been a number of changes to dive equipment nomenclature, ie flippers, frog feet, =fins. Breathing tube=snorkel or snorkle

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”