eskimo3883
Master Diver

danger is my business

Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:07 am

Hi,

I just read "danger is my business". A laughable title for a non-fiction book that although published in 1938 reads easy. Its misconceptions are fun. It is about a few years in the life of John D Craig. First part is world travel, captured by Arabs, hunting (and wounding) tigers in India, etc., but the last two thirds is on diving pre-1938. He was one of the first movie makers underwater for Hollywood. It speaks of a killer octopus (he still has the 6 foot arm in a jar that he cut off to save his life) and 25 feet wide mantas that killed several hard hat divers by running with their hose. He watched a diver die from squeeze at only 70 feet. I was having my doubts about any of this but the story ends with the worlds deepest dive on helium in a self contained hard hat about to happen because of him. Turns out that this part is true. He sponsored his partner Stohl and in 1937 using the Craig-Stohl dress did a self contained Helium enriched dive to 420 feet. Decompression stops for a safe accent were based on small animals and verified with chamber dives using the divers themselves as test subjects. Shortly afterwards Stohl founded DESCO. Although written seriously the guy almost got himself killed out of stupidity on several occasions and did leave a wake of several deaths around him. Forgivable only when you consider the times he lived in.

The 5 page PDF below is a great read on the first 420 foot self contained dive:
http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com/Fr ... diving.pdf

Re: danger is my business

Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:53 pm

[quote="eskimo3883"]Hi,

I just read "danger is my business". A laughable title for a non-fiction book that although published in 1938 reads easy.

>>>There are two editions of this book.

1) Literary Guild -1938--309 pages--A run away best seller Literary Guild was sort of a book of the month club...very common

2) Garden City publishing company-1941309 pages. Book is smaller inheight width and thickness than the 1938 edition...very rare

Its misconceptions are fun. It is about a few years in the life of John D Craig. First part is world travel, captured by Arabs, hunting (and wounding) tigers in India, etc.,
>>>John made a fortune in oil, specificly oil drilled on Signal hill. He was young had a good income so he traveled the world in search of adventure and he found it.

but the last two thirds is on diving pre-1938. He was one of the first movie makers underwater for Hollywood.
>>>He was a pioneer in Hollywood going underwater with a camera. This was at a time that diving was a very dangerous occupation and Underwater photography was unknown. He designed and had built most of his UW photo equipment a real pioneer.

It speaks of a killer octopus (he still has the 6 foot arm in a jar that he cut off to save his life)
>>> True. Recalling recent history the Puget sound Mudsharks held Octopus wrestling contests for a number of years...some were over 20 feet long.

...25 feet wide mantas that killed several hard hat divers by running with their hose.
>>>The mantas were feared by helmet divers, especially the large ones who were called "devil fish." The mantas would use the taught umbicals as a means of removing paracitic growth. They would entangle themselves and swim away with the diver dangling in the wake.
In the early part of 1960 I spent a month spearfishing in Vera Cruz Mexico--a diving buddy Talin Cabanas speared and sucessfully landed a manta that was just under 4000 pounds..He was at that time the hero spearfisherman of all Mexico.
In his 1941 book "Forgotten waters" (J.P. Lippencott & Co) Randolph Leigh displays a 38,00 pound manta (called mobula in the book) It would exceed 25 feet wing span.

...He watched a diver die from squeeze at only 70 feet.
>>>The Japanese divers were not using check valves in their helmets and this was very common hazzard. The US made Mark V always had check valves.
One only needs to submerge a few feet in a helmet, turn off the air supply to fell the crushing efffects of the water. A drop of 70 feet would crush the diver into "strawberry jam" as a serious squeeze is called by vetern helmet divers

I was having my doubts about any of this but the story ends with the worlds deepest dive on helium in a self contained hard hat about to happen because of him. Turns out that this part is true. He sponsored his partner Stohl and in 1937 using the Craig-Stohl (NOLH !) dress did a self contained Helium enriched dive to 420 feet. Decompression stops for a safe accent were based on small animals and verified with chamber dives using the divers themselves as test subjects.

>>>The name is NOHL--MAX GENE NOHL--He was a brilliant MIT graduate, and a shaker and mover in early diving experiments which always pushed the envelope, making a 420 foot dive in 1937. He and his wife lost their lives in an automobile accident about 1965. His pioneering work has all but been forgotten as evidenced by the misspelling of his name in this thread.

Shortly afterwards Stohl ( NOHL) founded DESCO.
>>>Jack Brown founded DESCO in his garage.

Although written seriously the guy almost got himself killed out of stupidity on several occasions and did leave a wake of several deaths around him. Forgivable only when you consider the times he lived in.

>>>Wake up! It was all experimental! No one- absolutely no one- had any idea what they were doing! There were no organizations, no books, no manuals (except the USN diving manual written in 1900s), no magazines, no training, He was on his own!

FYI;
I knew John D Craig. I socialized with him, dove with him and visited each other's home often.

I do not know what happened to Gloria, his wife in the book, he never once mentioned her. He was married to Millie Day Craig when we met and they had two, at that time, lovely pre-teenage daughters, they would now be in their 60s. The younger one is living in Houston, I have lost track of the older sister.

John was an LA County UW instructor. He was, as would be expected from LA Co, NOT given any slack and he asked for none. He did every thing expected of him and did it well--and he was approaching 60 at the time.

John also produced and starred in a weekly Underwater TV program 10 years prior to Sea Hunt. It was syndicated and was broadcast in a number of markets.

He made a movie for LA county titled "Any one for divning" He was over 60 at the time...one thing he demonstrated in the movie was to cut his way out of a helmet suit and make a free asent leaving boots, helmet, etc on the bottom.

Millie always made a special Baked bean dish that she brought to gatherings. It was VERY good! John was getting old and so was Millie, In one letter to them I ask her for the recipe--she sent it. I shared with a few mutal friends. At the millennium "Free divers and Spear fishermans" recogninition party in 2000 one of the tribe made it! It was the hit of the party carefully guarded by his friends and consumed with relish!

In the last few years of Johns life he was living in Phoenix Arizona where he passed on at age 95 on August 30, 1997. He was buried at Rose Hills in Whittier California. He had a full and exciting life..

Yes I have his book, both of them. One is enscribed to Sam Miller, -best wishes- from one lousy diver to another, John D Craig, November 1, 1962.

There is so much I could write about John--he was one of a kind!

eskimo3883
Master Diver

John D Craig

Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:34 pm

Hi 21,

Appreciate your comments. Doubt there are many folks that could add as much to the story as yourself. I do not think many folks have heard of him. I never have. I think the dates mean he was filming underwater in same the time frame of William Beebe. This would define him one of the pioneers. The more I look into details it just keeps getting better. Craig is a remarkable individual.

I also have two copies of the book. One is the Literary Guild edition (1938) you mention. The other is from the Readers’ league of America (1938). This copy is smaller in height width than the Literary Guild version. While smaller it has the same number of pages and the same font. To make it smaller they just cut off almost all of the margins and moved the photos in the front.. This one sounds like a form of the Garden City version you mention.

I had passed on buying the book several times because the title sounded less like history and more like an over the top adventure novel. Not so. If anything Craig comes across as self effacing. He comments he is surprised he was never bent. In the mid to late 1920’s Craig’s set off to film underwater in Mexico using with oxygen masks and goggles. Local Japanese divers taught him to hard hat dive on site. He laughs at himself that only much later did he hear of dive tables and decompression.

He barely gets out of Mexico after stumbling across smugglers (135 Chinese and half million dollars in drugs in the late 1920’s?)). He describes his traveling companions. They had set trap guns for tigers in china. The traps killed three Chinese so they hid the bodies and left. Although the friends had expired passports Craig attempts to travel with them to Timbuktu, which is stalled after they are captured by Arabs who at first suspect the three to be spies from the French Foreign legion.

He could have left less flattering parts out but he chose to not bury them. The story about filming the tiger hunt involved the wounding of a tiger that went on to kill a dozen men, women and children. He stayed on to finally kill it. He is knocked out of a tree by the tiger he is hunting with a gun that has only two bullets. He lands on the ground with an empty gun, a live tiger, and many bullets passing around him before the tiger is hit.

The book is also an education on the day. When he is filming he is bothered by many 500 lb fish. That is what we would all be seeing today if there were a few less spear guns. I was thinking “fish story” when he spoke of 25 feet wide Manta Rays that will whip you with their tail and break your back. I had never seen one of this scale in modern film. Looking into it they are listed as growing to this size though I doubt few that large are still alive. I had read of squeeze to the point where a diver was pushed into his 2 inch air hose but I was thinking this would have to be very deep. I did not know you could be killed in a like manor at 70 feet. I had no idea that in the late 1920’s he could have had back up tanks on his hard hat that were good for I hour. Not sure what to think about an octopus cutting a diver into pieces. I have seen what Humboldt squid can do to a man’s bare shoulder. Not pretty.

I just bought a 1938 copy of NATURAL HISTORY that covers the helium based 420 foot dive. It is supposed to have 20 large photos, and I can’t wait to take a look.

I had read both Max Nohl and Jack Browne co-founded DESCO. Am I in error?

Are you aware of a way to see any of his film work?

DANGER IS MY BUSINESS PART 4

Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:30 am

John was indeed a very adventurous fellow and for a long time Danger was his business.

I have seen many of his films taken in the 1930 on. The one I recall the most was the time he and his buddies pulled a shark on board by its tail. It almost destroyed the boat by it's twisting, turning and thashing about.

I don't know who has his films or if there are any remaining. These flms were printed on very unstable stock and certainly not stored in ideal conditions so probably they have turned to dust.

Maybe others will be aquiring and reading Danger is my business.

I recall "Turtle guy" also has a signed copy of Danger is my business

The spear fisherman takes but a fraction of what is taken by the line fishermen and certainly an almost unmeasurable amount when compared the commerical fishermen's catch. The free diving spearfisherman is a selective hunter and will spend hours/days in the water before pulling the trigger, some times as long as an hour landing the fish and many hours on the boat rerigging for the next diving venture. A spearfisherman who limits out on any fish is a very rare, lucky diver.

Turtleguy9
Skin Diver

Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:38 am

Aloha
Yes, I have two copies, of Danger is My Business. One copy is Autographed 1942 march to Cecil Goddard. It is a Simon and Schuster third printing.
The other is a 1938 first edition.
The later editions seem to be printed on much better paper.
I wonder how many printings they made of this book?
Aloha
Turtleguy9
Roger

Craig--book edition-- John Goddard???

Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:04 am

[quote="Turtleguy9"]Aloha
Yes, I have two copies, of Danger is My Business. One copy is Autographed 1942 march to Cecil Goddard. It is a Simon and Schuster third printing.
The other is a 1938 first edition.
The later editions seem to be printed on much better paper.
I wonder how many printings they made of this book?
Aloha
Turtleguy9
Roger[/quote]

I have two;

1938 -Literary Guild -New York
Published by Simon and Schuster,386 Fourth Avenue NYC
It does not have any markings as to its printing or edition which would lead one to believe it is a first edition, first printing.

1941-Garden City publishing Company on fronspeice
On the second page;

Garden city Publishing Company
(several spaces)
All rights reserved
Copy right 1938 by John D Craig
Published by Simon and Schuster
386 Fourth Avenue NYC

It also does not have any markings as to edition or printings.

A note/question about Cecil Goddard
Could he be some how related or associated with John Goddard?
What it the enscription? Any more information?
John and Goddard both lived up around Arcata-near Pasadena.

thepeanutking
Diver

Book

Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:59 am

hey that book sounds very intresting where is a good place to look for a copy??
Dive to Live and Live to Dive

ebj
Lung Diver

Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:11 pm

I just bought a copy from amazon.com. Book plus shipping was alittle over $10. Copies ranged from less than $5 to over $200 depending on condition and the seller. I've bought other dive books from them in the past with no problems and for great prices!
Ernie

jorgea
First Name: jorge

Re: danger is my business

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:59 pm

This sounds like an exciting film to see. Thanks for your review.

__________________________________________________________________________________
find cheap flights

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”