Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Better Scuba Diving for Boys

Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:20 am

Better Scuba Diving for Boys by David Horner 1966.
Now I’m going to do one of those boring stories that I bitch about others doing.
When I was a barefoot Hillbilly kid living in Southern Missouri the bookmobile (some of you know what I’m talking about) would come by our school every 10 days. Once I was chosen to go in the bookmobile and help choose books that students in the whole class might enjoy reading. Once I saw this book I could not put it down….10 days later I asked the lady that ran the bookmobile if I could keep it for another 10 days and she said NO…It was against the library policy…. So I had to wait till school was out for the summer and beg and plead with my Mom to drive me to the library many miles away where this “Holy Grail” was kept.
I don’t know if it’s rare or even desirable… I do know that it has a hell of a lot of info in it that holds true today for every diver Men, Women and Boys….
I bet Sam knows something about it though!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Dave Horner-scuba diving for boys

Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:22 am

I must confess I know very little about Dave Horner or his books. He was from the east coast and evendently wrote for the library market. There very few of his books on the market that have not been in some public library, therefore contain all the expected library marketings and use and abuse as noted in Bryan's photographs. These books, "Ex libs" as they are referred to are gererally not collected by the rabid bibliopohiles as are generally paper backs.

This does not imply he did not produce great books; he did and he was prolific in his writings, all that I am familar with were about Skin and Scuba diving, the sea or shipwrecks. So Dave Horner's books are certainly collectable and very informative. What ever you do don't pass one up!

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:24 pm

And it's just for BOYS. It says so on the cover so girls can't read it!!!
On one of the pages is is showing how to do a front flip entry!! I believe I won it on E-bay and the shipping was more than the book.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Scuba diving for boys

Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:52 am

Since my last post I have gone on a hunt for books by Dave Horner. So far I have been unable to locate not one diving book by him!

You may just have a rare one!

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:11 am

I just bought that book off of AMAZON. I was wondering Bryan, is that the book with the helmet wearing hero name Puddlemouse?

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:45 am

My copy appears to have been the property of Bisbee OK school dist. I got it from Albries. The one I read as a kid belonged to the Christian County Library.......
Rob, I don't see him in it but if you ask I'm sure he is somehow associated with correcting their diving style

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”