Robohips77
Master Diver

BASIC SCUBA

Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:59 pm

I just received my latest edition to my books after once again reading good info from this site. I procured a 1960 edition hardcover copy in good to very good condition of Fred Robert's Basic Scuba. Great read and since I love to tinker it has info on just what I needed. Cost from amazon was 40 bucks but well worth it.. Well I will have some study time on my way down to SDV so I may save it till then. But probably not. Thanks again everyone.
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:53 am

OK......Vintage Divers and Vintage Diver Wannabees.......READ BASIC SCUBA by FRED ROBERTS.....Or stay on the shore
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

DiverTim
Master Diver

Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:06 am

I just finished my copy! Tim

Douchebag
Master Diver

Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:17 pm

Bryan wrote:OK......Vintage Divers and Vintage Diver Wannabees.......READ BASIC SCUBA by FRED ROBERTS.....Or stay on the shore
I've said it once, I'll say it again...Bryan is a MACK F-ING PIMP!!!

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:42 pm

Without question

NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

marcvsthebard

Re: BASIC SCUBA

Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:21 pm

I just got my copy of the 1963 Second Edition of Basic Scuba. I put it down long enough to post this photo...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Britmarine
VDH Moderator
First Name: David

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:17 pm

My copy is a first edition, published in 1960 by D. Van Nostrand Company, Inc, and simultaneously by D. Van Nostrand (Canada) Ltd., Library of Congress Catalog Card No. 60-15136, which is the nearest you're going to get to an ISBN number back then; ISBN numbers have only been around since 1965.

The copy on my bookshelf hasn't got a dust jacket because it wasn't bought new. The volume was purchased for $6.50 in a San Francisco used book store back in 1979, when I paid my first visit States-side from the UK. A very memorable visit, incidentally, taking in LA, Phoenix AZ, Las Vegas NV and Salt Lake City UT as well as "America's Favourite City".

I'm a vintage snorkeller, not a scuba diver, and I prize this book mainly for its chapters on "Basic Equipment" and "Survival in Cold Water - Rubber suits". The former has an excellent exposition of the differences between straight and offset bladed fins, backed up by a performance analysis of the two fin types in the Appendices with diagrams and tables of data. A very thorough investigation of fin dynamics, remarkable considering the book's publication date.

The chapter on exposure suits is equally thorough, exploring in great detail the donning, sealing and venting processes involved with neck-entry, front-entry and waist-entry drysuits. My interest in this chapter has grown since my purchase of an original Skooba-"totes" suit from the late 1950s or early 1960s. I occasionally snorkel in the North Sea with this suit as it is still fully functional. Roberts' extensive advice on such period drysuits contrasts with the amount of information available within many contemporary diving books, which often mention drysuits as a mere afterthought.

helomech17

Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:44 pm

Just got one in the mail.
Sold my first copy years ago thinking I'd never need to refer to it again...WRONG! ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Be sure you search out the first edition as well. It will be harder to find and more expensive but there are some regulators in it that were not put in the 2nd edition you have.
helomech17 wrote:Just got one in the mail.
Sold my first copy years ago thinking I'd never need to refer to it again...WRONG! ;-)
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”