mrepi2000
Diver
First Name: LB

Sea Hunt query

Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:32 pm

I find Sea Hunt episodes to watch on CD excellent for my daily treadmill routine. Here are two things I'm wondering about right now.

1. I have noticed on several different episodes that on occasion I have seen divers wearing wet suit hoods having holes right over the ears. These look to be 4 holes of about 1/4" diameter in a diamond pattern. My only thought is maybe this was to help the actors hear the director in a scene. Any thoughts?

2. While the male divers all seem to be wearing Voit Viking fins, female divers (in addition to all using a smaller tank, perhaps a "60"?) all seem to be using Voit SailFin fins.Did they not make Vikings in women's sizes then?

I remember when I was a kid these were the fins I got in a childrens' set with a cheap mask (plastic lens, no metal rim) and a snorkel in the "S" shape with the cage/ball valve at the top. Not exactly professional grade gear! By the way, I got this set by saving books of trading stamps my mom got at the grocery. I would wear my mask, fins and snorkel while sitting on the floor watching Sea Hunt!

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Sea Hunt query

Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:37 pm

Back in the day a lot of divers punched holes in their hoods at ear level thinking it would help with equalization. I did it in the late 60's early 70's only because my father and all his dive buddies did it and that was the reason I was given. Seems kinda silly now.

M
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:46 pm

2. The tanks that the women used were steel 40 cu ft. They had, what I call and make, a "basket-style" harness that fits around the tank. The Voit Viking was available from S to XL. I have all sizes in various degrees of usability.

If you would like to see the Sea Hunt documented equipment in action, visit Silver Springs, FL on March 2 and 3, 2019 for the 5th Sea Hunt reenactment of the TV show (1958-1961) by many individuals that are active on this forum. Also check out on Facebook, SEA HUNT FOREVER 2019.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:26 pm

So I also still punch holes in my hood, but only for hoods that are unlined. Unlined hoods tend to seal over the outer surface of your ear, creating a squeeze and making it harder to equalize. I do that on my semi-dry as well.

If you ever want to try this phenomenon, just put on an unlined or latex hood and descend a few feet. Without an inner liner of nylon or fabric it will definitely seal to your ear lobe.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Return to “General Discussions”