3D printing a prototype and Injection molding likely would be the easiest route for a production run. However, I have zero interest in producing any for commercial sale. Plus, I'm cheap. In fact, I will be very happy to make one or two for myself and maybe a couple of more for a few friends. Plus, I'm a dinosaur. I still shoot black and white film with (gasp) chemical developing. I did look into the possibility of 3D printing a exhaust diaphragm but the material used for printing just didn't seem right for this application. No worries, all good. Keep the ideas comming!Fibonacci wrote: ↑Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:17 pmLooks like you are having a lot of fun... but I can't help but think you are taking the hard path if you want to do limited production runs of these diaphragms.
If you can get a NOS diaphragm (making sure it hasn't shrunk over the years!) and either measure it carefully or get it 3D scanned to generate a 3D CAD model you can use relatively low cost soft tooling and get them produced by injection moulding via a rapid prototyping (RP) company.
Xometry is an example of the type of company I mean... I have no connection to them but their website illustrates the range of RP services available.
They have just added Injection Moulding:
https://www.xometry.com/injection-moldi ... f1EALw_wcB
That looks really interesting. Thanks for the info. I've already invested in the "analog" version of this project but I'll definitely keep it in mind for the future. Mark
Interesting. The third "rubber band" valve some Scubas had was added to allow exhaust to escape from extra drillings in the event the exhaust diaphragm stuck to the horn and prevented or restricted exhaust from escaping the end of the horn. They must have experienced this sticking (or had nightmares about it) for them to go to the extra trouble of adding this feature.
I got sidetracked with repairs to my house after last winter's storms. I'm currently engaged in massive trial prep activities on a case and just haven't gotten back to it. I do intend to do so but real life has intruded into my play time. I'll be sure and update once I come up for air (so to speak)
antique diver wrote: ↑Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:18 pmGood to see you are trying again. That looks like Industrial Strength pantyhose, so I think you are on the right track using the shear leg material. That's what I have been using with good results. It gives the silicone something to stick to and helps keep the shape while still being soft and stretchy. The thin material shapes to the mold and regulator contours easier too. At least that works for me.
In an odd coincidence, I happened to be experimenting on the same item today! "Great Minds...."
I like your idea of making a form with extra room to work on the skirt! I'm going to use your idea for my next attempt at that item. It's what I've been doing on demand regulator diaphragms, but I thought I would save time by just using the reg body this time... I was wrong.Vintagediver wrote: ↑Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:23 pmThat really looks good Mark, and I think it shows sign of some hope. I'm wondering if using your procedure over the form I made instead of inside the reg would work and allow more room for zip tying the fabric down further so it could be brushed further down, and then be trimmed to the desired length after removing the new diaphragm from the form. Just wondering. I think this issue is definitely getting close to being resolved.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests