OregonDiver1
Lung Diver
First Name: Anthony

Re-Chroming/Plating options

Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:50 pm

Hi Everyone, I've returned to the community after a very very long absence and I am astounded by all the progress that this community has made. One change that saddened me though is that Dave is no longer providing his awesome chroming service. It does that inspite of this lost resource members are still getting their regulators either chromed or plated with other metals. What resources are being sourced for this work? Would they accept mail in work? What kind of specifications need to be communicated prior to work commencing so tolerances are not altered? Thank you.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Re-Chroming/Plating options

Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:00 pm

You are better off sourcing it local to you so you can go in and talk with the people doing the work. Look for companies that do restoration work on vintage sail and powerboats. Or specialty restoration on vintage/classic cars. You will have mixed results with companies that do regulator chrome plating. Many folks are good at making a nice looking car bumper or pipes on a bike but lack the skills necessary to do scuba equipment. If a company does restoration on bezels for dashboard and instrument bezels then they "should" understand tolerances and take it from there. Every piece that is chrome requires different anode placement to insure even plating across the parts. Expect to pay for this service as it takes years of experience and skill to get it done correctly.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

OregonDiver1
Lung Diver

Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:36 am

Thank you Bryan. I will try to search local and see what I can find. In regards to parts, other than the Top can, bottom can, and regulator body, what other parts are chromed on a typical US Divers or Voit regulator?

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:50 am

The parts that were originally chromed.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:16 am

I found a small mom-and-pop shop in Santa Ana, California that does a great job. I've used them on 3 regulators so far and I have been very pleased. They know absolutely nothing about diving or regulators, they mostly do auto parts and motorcycle parts. I went to several Chrome shops that said my jobs were too small. This place takes a while, could be five to six weeks until they get enough small jobs to do a batch, but if you are in no hurry I would recommend them. I mentioned one time that I had friends around the country that might want the same service and the owner told me that no job is too small. I don't know the going rate elsewhere but he charges $45 per can. I have not had him chrome a body so don't know what he would charge for that. I also have picked up and delivered at his shop, so I don't know what he charges for shipping. If you want his contact information, please email me and I will provide it. Mark

"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

OregonDiver1
Lung Diver

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:03 am

Thank you Mark. Their work looks awesome.

OregonDiver1
Lung Diver

Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:38 pm

Bryan wrote:
Apart from the obvious external parts i.e. top and bottom cans, yoke, yoke screw, and body, what internal parts were chromed? Just asking as I've never broken one of these regs apart myself and I am unfamiliar with the construction and finishing of the internal internal components.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:06 am

OregonDiver1 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:38 pm
Bryan wrote:
Apart from the obvious external parts i.e. top and bottom cans, yoke, yoke screw, and body, what internal parts were chromed? Just asking as I've never broken one of these regs apart myself and I am unfamiliar with the construction and finishing of the internal internal components.
There are a few internal parts that I have seen chromed, the bonnet and body retaining ring come to mind but there really is no reason to go to the trouble of re-chroming them. Unless you are displaying the cans open no one will ever see them. I have a number of very functional regs that look like crap inside. If the part is in that bad a shape I look around for NOS parts. Otherwise, I just run the non-rubber, non-seal parts through the ultrasonic cleaner and Bob's Your Uncle. My 2-psi. Others views may differ. Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Aquanutt
First Name: Henry

Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:28 am

I have been searching for a re chroming shop near Wilmington NC but haven’t found one. Do any of you know a reputable shop that has re chromed the cans and will ship them back to me? I have a Royal Aquamaster that I want to restore. Thanks!

Flakotter
Lung Diver
First Name: Traner

Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:20 am

I have never used them but I have heard good things about these guys:

http://www.jrcustomplating.com/cms.php?id=4

A guy that I work with is big into the custom/fighting light saber world and these guys do most of the delicate chrome work for that crowd.

I can’t tell you what I would do for a Flaming Amy’s burrito right now.

h2operations
Master Diver
First Name: Paul

Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:13 pm

I am new on the forum so be gentle. I have a friend who was an airplane designer and builder , even in his basement , he hold several patents on designs. When he was not able to fly anymore took up restoring airplane gauges then chroming guns.... We spent a bit of time together an after many years learned me process. I will tell you it is an art. One of the biggest issues why people are not doing it as much is due to the EPA and the chemical dangers. One thing that most people do not realize is that Chrome is a finish like clear coat on Nickel. I came over here to see if anyone has done their own rigs as I keep acquiring some conshelf and pacers. Any insight ????

Douchebag
Master Diver

Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:34 pm

h2operations wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:13 pm
I am new on the forum so be gentle. I have a friend who was an airplane designer and builder , even in his basement , he hold several patents on designs. When he was not able to fly anymore took up restoring airplane gauges then chroming guns.... We spent a bit of time together an after many years learned me process. I will tell you it is an art. One of the biggest issues why people are not doing it as much is due to the EPA and the chemical dangers. One thing that most people do not realize is that Chrome is a finish like clear coat on Nickel. I came over here to see if anyone has done their own rigs as I keep acquiring some conshelf and pacers. Any insight ????
You really are new... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “General Discussions”