h2operations
Master Diver
First Name: Paul

Re: Ignorant Dive Shop people (A rant)

Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:21 pm

All Solid Points , Again.
The Sandy Eggo shop is an interesting lot. I run in there occasionally, interesting no one ever asks to help.?? I think the brick and mortar model is going to die off like the dinosaur do to it's own doing. Adapt and survive, Darwin at it's best. I wonder what Darwin would have come up with if he could have dove off of the Beagle? Maybe some dive shops will be on American Pickers ??? Talking about the in the Ancient Times people went there for service.
I do know of several retail/ service industries that are suffering the same fate, except the ones with the best service! I like to help out the American Entrepreneur as much as I can and I suspect that you do as well as long as it is worth your while. But the really are shooting themselves in the foot.
It really looks like the survival of the " Sport" is going to be the people who keep the dream alive. Sort like when it all started. I see posts here of guys building their own gear, helping each other with solving problems, sharing ect ect. I think that theory was lost with the new age divers we encounter. I used to remember trainers hanging out after class sharing stories and tips. Now the student get their book stamped, handed a flyer with the next class so they can hurry up and be on their way to be a MASTER DIVER: oooo aaahhhhh. The new system is like an Earl Shieb Paint Job : We will paint any car any color $ 99.95.
So since vintage gear in coming back maybe in many years from now so will vintage customer service???

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:46 am

Who are we going to kick around when the dive shops are all gone? About the last thing some will need them for is air fills. That still doesn't work so well online.

Maybe every group of diving friends will need their own compressor, so I think I'll keep buying up all the good used ones I can find now and make a killing selling them later. 8)
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:14 pm

antique diver wrote:
.... air fills. That still doesn't work so well online.....
Bill, I'm working on an App for that. :D

What, you still think trans-mollecular time/space wireless compression algorithms are a myth? A wireless transmitter can read tank pressure on a guage on your wrist - I figure it's the same principle. :roll: Just trying to find out a way to reanimate the O2 and N in a 21% mix (32% if you pay to upgrade to the nitrox App). :shock:

Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:33 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:14 pm
antique diver wrote:
.... air fills. That still doesn't work so well online.....
Bill, I'm working on an App for that. :D

What, you still think trans-mollecular time/space wireless compression algorithms are a myth? A wireless transmitter can read tank pressure on a guage on your wrist - I figure it's the same principle. :roll: Just trying to find out a way to reanimate the O2 and N in a 21% mix (32% if you pay to upgrade to the nitrox App). :shock:

Mark
HA! I'm way ahead of you. I have already conducted a successful preliminary test of wireless compressed air transmission over a distance of 125 feet using the tubular theory principles of trans-molecular displacement. It involves very little lag time compared to other theorists' pie in the sky dreams. I fully expect to extend that further just as soon as I find my other 25' piece of HP hose.
The older I get the better I was.

uwstlth
Master Diver
First Name: kevin

Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:03 pm

I'd also add that now it seems you can buy a service kit for just about any reg, tank valve, compressor, booster, etc online. I remember a time when only dive shops had access to that stuff. And then Scuba Tools and Herman came along and gave us all the "right tool fer the right job". Now you can attend the Scuba Show, sign up for a class and get certified to inspect tanks etc. Go to frogkick.dk, download the manual for your gear and Bob's yer uncle, Fanny's yer aunt. Not saying everyone should be servicing their own gear as there are plenty of morons with c-cards but then again, something about Darwin rings a bell :mrgreen:

dhaas
Lung Diver

Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:41 am

Haven't posted here in awhile but this topic is interesting and I have some experience in all that's been discussed.
Disclaimer: I may hate myself for posting this ha ha ha.......

Started my Medicare 11/1 and turning the big 65 in a week :) Health is great and I lead dive trips and sell the occasional UW photo gear as a "living". I say that with both humor and seriousness because the dive industry even when I co-owned a store 1985-1989 in the hey day of scuba gear sales and teaching was never a "living".

We taught classes almost 7 days a week (the old way, maybe Tues. / Thurs, Mon./Wed. for 3 weeks classroom and pool) then actually took divers for a weekend of 4 dives in small groups. In Ohio that meant two different quarries, 4 divers / instructor and actually taught some neutral buoyancy control so people could enjoy diving :)

Fast forward and now many things mentioned in this thread are common. You don't really need a dive shop for anything. Online gear sales with easy returns, regulator service at many national places for those who don't want to do their own, and yes, learning the principles of diving like you can get a college degree today. ONLINE.....

Travel DOES make way more $$$$ than teaching and service by tank monkeys who I don't trust to work on my Aqualung old style Titan LX regs. I have 3 all updated to the same as a modern Titan LX but with no stinking ACD and they breathe fine for me and my wife on worldwide dive travels.

The remaining older folks who will spend significant $$$$ are WWW (warm water wusses) and want easy, clear tropical diving but I see a decline in those numbers too. People are taking themselves out of diving due to age, physical condition and one other thing I somewhat rant about.......We've made diving too damn hard.....

I dive a small Aqualung ZUMA BC (like wearing a backpack) with SPG bungied to my Airsource 3 BC inflator / OCTO combo and wear two wrist computers. I'm even diving 50 year old CRESSI Rondine copy black rubber fins and get around fine even in some currents of Indonesia and Philippines where I did 3 trips the last 5 months. So much gear is clunky and about as streamlined as a Mack truck.

I see way too many people with so much crap on and know they're simply not enjoying diving anymore :(

Along with making gear too complicated is the one elephant in the room which will continue to shrink the overall sport scuba industry......Liability.....I worry about people diving who lie on their forms ("No sir, I'm not taking any meds!") and always overestimate their physical capability.

That said several folks in their 70s that travel with me are smart. They pass on current dives or if not feeling up to 3-4-5 dives / day. I love those folks and will accommodate needs such as gear donning and doffing in the water plus finding easy destinations they'll enjoy as a dive vacation.

Air stations for diving locally may also become the norm. I go to a guy with a "dive shop" but it's mainly a hydro and air fill station 13 miles from me. He makes more $$$$ doing hydros than teaching or selling any equipment. Heck, he's retired from an auto plant job and has a mansion in Manila where he spends his winters. Smart guy.....

As to even trying to patronize your local shop I have had similar situations at a few "modern" dive shops. I take in my 71.2 steel tank that's in hydro and VIP and they won't fill it saying their policy is nothing older than 20 years. They try and justify it with the aluminum 80s neck cracks of 6351 alloy which I think was very very few failures if memory serves me.

My one Dacor 71.2 was born in 1961 and is as clean as whistle. I just sold all my other 71.2 tanks as I don't dive locally unless doing a pooI dive to test a new lens. I do go to the quarry maybe once a year to shoot photos for a Breast Cancer fund raising cookout event. I can rent a tank or fill my 71.2 cheaper there than keeping my previous 4 in service.

I guess my point is with all the knowledge on this site and history the bitter truth is: No one cares or will see it your way.....Get used to it but don't let it stop you from enjoying diving while we still can!

Theses days I am enjoying diving more than ever. I don't have anything to prove and use a small compact camera that produces fabulous photos and travels a whole lot easier. Or sometimes don't even take photos unless it's something that really interests me.

Have fun and dive safe!

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

boogerdave
Lung Diver

Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:04 pm

I had to cringe when I read some of the stuff the shops were telling y'all Bad alloys in steel cylinders? (seriously?) Wont fill because of coatings that came on the cylinders when new? Wont fill because of the person that did the visual, etc, etc

I'm back at Emerald Coast Scuba in Destin, Florida so if y'all want to dive vintage, fill your tanks, even find a vintage diving buddy, come on by and ask for Dave. I'll hook you up.
Blah, blah, blah . . and I really mean that.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:40 pm

BOOGER DAVE LIVES!

Long time, no see.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

boogerdave
Lung Diver

Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:19 pm

Yup. Trying to get back at it. :)

ColemanJ
Diver
First Name: James

Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:20 pm

I usually dive in Pensacola every year when my wife and I come down from NC but I would like to try something new like over in Destin or Panama City and dive my PRAM or my Conshelf XIV's or my new toy my OTS Spectrum FFM. We have great dive shops here in NC and never had any issues with filling tanks or diving with my vintage gear. Planning on a dive on the U362 WWII sub in a couple of months probably with my PRAM. In Penscola I use Bay Breese Dive in Gulf Breese, Scuba Shack in downtown Pensacola, Hy Tyd dive charters (old ower sold to new couple from Minn and starting back up this spring/summer) if anyone is going there. I'm overdue to dive on the Orskany again but there are a few other sites I'm still wanting to dive too.

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:56 pm

boogerdave wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:04 pm
I had to cringe when I read some of the stuff the shops were telling y'all Bad alloys in steel cylinders? (seriously?) Wont fill because of coatings that came on the cylinders when new? Wont fill because of the person that did the visual, etc, etc

I'm back at Emerald Coast Scuba in Destin, Florida so if y'all want to dive vintage, fill your tanks, even find a vintage diving buddy, come on by and ask for Dave. I'll hook you up.
Hey Booger Dave,

I just bought a house up in Andalusia, AL and will be 55 minutes away. I know that shop as well, nice folks.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

boogerdave
Lung Diver

Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:43 am

I live up in Holt and work in Destin at Emerald Coast Scuba. Come on down anytime, we'd be happy to take you out. I am doing a Vintage Equipment Introduction this weekend, class on Saturday AM, Pool in the afternoon and a few fun dives at Vortex Springs Sunday. Ive got three guys in the Intro, should be fun.

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:48 am

Sorry Booger, won't be home for awhile, still in Saudi Arabia. We'll be in touch!
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Return to “General Discussions”