Superlite
Master Diver
First Name: Andrew

Ohio bound

Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:46 am

On or about 21 Aug I will be headed for Ohio on a project. I will have Sundays off and would like to see if there is any place to expel a few bubbles. My Kraken and my PRAM are itching to get wet again :wink: .
I'll be working in Defiance, OH for around 6 or 7 weeks and would enjoy diving with any of our Vintage buddies or even just a diver that would like to get wet.
Thanks and Safe Diving to all :D
Andrew
"Superlite"

couv
Master Diver

Re: Ohio bound

Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:35 am

A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Superlite
Master Diver
First Name: Andrew

Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:04 pm

Will be in Panama City for a couple days of bubble blowing 12-13 Aug and not planning on a elongated trip to Ohio. Will be there (Ohio) for six weeks for TransCanada. But would like to get some water time in if anyone is interested while I'm in Defiance. Just would need to know where to go.
Thanks for the Reply
Superlite :)

kworkman
Master Diver
First Name: Keith

Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:29 am

You are pretty close to Gilboa Quarry just off 75 north of Findlay. 130 ft deep. Some of the vintage guys go there on occasion but its mostly classes and your tech divers for the deep end.

Britmarine
VDH Moderator
First Name: David

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:38 am

Loveland in the Greater Cincinnati area of the Buckeye State has a connection to vintage equipment diving through the So-Lo Marx Rubber Company, which designed and manufactured the bargain-priced Skooba-"totes" diving and waterskiing drysuit there from the late 1950s to the early 1960s. Here is an illustrated syndicated newspaper article from March 1957 reporting the trial of the prototype suit in the nearby Little Miami River:
SoutheastMissourian-21-03-1957.jpg
The following So-Lo Marx drysuit ad from 1959 or 1960 (can anybody with copies of Skin Diver magazine from the period please let me know which it might be?) recreated the scene in the newspaper photograph with one suit-clad diver ashore reaching out to his similarly dressed companion, who is still in the water. Note how the mask featuring built-in twin snorkels has been replaced in the meantime with a plain mask and a double-hose regulator:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

USdiver
Master Diver

Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:35 pm

We can do some diving for sure. My LDS (where I DM) leases a 23 acre quarry, +100' deep, located about halfway between Cincinnati and Columbus. We have a Dive With Us weekend set for September 23-24. Usually we have some freshwater jellyfish that time of year. Ohio has some good freshwater diving, and vintage divers galore. Not too far from Defiance are Gilboa and Sugar Grove (our quarry) both +100' deep; White Star near Fremont is +50' with a shaft down to about 75'. And of course there is eastern Michigan with Lake Huron.

Here is some info on the three quarries:

http://www.divegilboa.com

http://www.2dive4.com

http://www.whitestarquarry.com
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

couv
Master Diver

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:02 pm

Superlite wrote:Will be in Panama City for a couple days of bubble blowing 12-13 Aug and not planning on a elongated trip to Ohio. Will be there (Ohio) for six weeks for TransCanada. But would like to get some water time in if anyone is interested while I'm in Defiance. Just would need to know where to go.
Thanks for the Reply
Superlite :)
Hi Andrew,

I've sent a PM re diving in your neck of the woods.

Couv
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Return to “General Discussions”