georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Purchased Conshelf 21 from VDH

Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:13 pm

First performance test yesterday 6/26/17 of a relatively impulse purchase from VDH Online Store.
The item is a cosmetically clean Conshelf 21 advertised as rebuilt, refreshed and bench tested.

We took a small load out to the Eureaka offshore oil rig off Long Beach, CA yesterday for some deep stuff with the "new" reg.
Conditions were fair with 30 ft vis and high current maybe 3kts.
Dive 1 was to 156 fsw but I found that at this depth, there was a significant "down" current with pea soup green, dark and what I call "sharky" water. Bip Bip Bip on the inflator button to slow the descent - " well, at least I'm not going down - as fast!"

I found the typical things with the reg that we all love about quality regulators - steady, consistent air delivery that inspires confidence.

Dive 2 was the same only with higher current.

Thanks for the great performing regulator VDH! It's amazing people will pay 800-900 USD for a new regulator that likely performs the same or less than the redoubtable US Divers Conshelf. The 21 second stage is light as a feather and extremely comfortable to use for an hour long dive.

crimediver
Master Diver

Re: Purchased Conshelf 21 from VDH

Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:25 pm

It is hard to beat a Conshelf. I buy them used when I find a deal at a yard sale or flea market. Easy to work on and they are a great reg all around. I hook up friends with them when they are looking for a reg for their kids and don't want to spend a ton of money.
I agree that you can always pay more but that does not necessarily mean the quality is better when it comes to regulators. I bought a Conshelf 14 that will outlast me and it performs as well as any reg I own.

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Re: Purchased Conshelf 21 from VDH

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:28 pm

I gave my friend one of those Amron Conshelf 14's a while back and haven't seen him use his Atomic T3 since that day.

Return to “General Discussions”