uwstlth
Master Diver
First Name: kevin

Jimmy Has Passed

Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:12 pm

Not really "new" news but thought I'd post that James Stewart has passed away.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/new ... story.html

He was my dive mentor, tough-nuts friend, and pretty funny too. As a student of his, I gathered a group of old SIO divers and we dove outside "Sunny Jim's" in honor of him this past weekend... and of course had to nab a Horn Shark.

RIP Jimmy!
636_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Jimmy Has Passed

Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:32 pm

He was definitely one of the originals. Sam Miller introduced me to Jim a few times over the years. He gave a few if us a personal tour behind the scenes at the old Scripps Aquarium down by the pier before they built the new one up on the hill. Only met him those few times but he was always happy to be telling stories and talking about Scripps and his work. RIP.
Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

uwstlth
Master Diver
First Name: kevin

Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:53 pm

Mark, I helped build and move the old to the new AQM, loads of great stories during that time. Then PADI did a magazine called AQUA (didn't last long) and they ran a story on the past and present dive pioneers. I was selected to represent SIO with a few others, I had no clue what an honor that actually was until the day of the photo shoot. The Meistrell Bros, E.R. Cross, Bev Morgan, Dick Anderson, Al Tillman, and of course the gorgeous and super sweet Zale Perry. In the picture of us with Jimmy you'll see me in Aqualung Yellow and the now famous U.S. astronaut Megan McArthur (STS-125).
Aqua Cover resized.jpg
The Tribe resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:43 am

James Steward a True legend and Explorer was just reading about him SDM Oct 1962

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:31 am

I hate to hear that. Jim Stewart was one of the course directors in the first instructor course I took in 1968. Jim, along with Glen Egstrom came to Texas to help present the SCIP/YMCA Instructor Seminar. At that time SCIP (Southwest Council Instructor Program), a notable regional agency, was in discussions about a merger with NAUI, and these guys were interested enough to come here for just their expenses to participate, and I guess to see first hand what our regional program was all about. They, along with Art Ulrich, continued to be involved for several years, until the merger actually took place in 1972 at a crossover seminar in Fort Worth. Wow, that course really eliminated the chaff from the wheat among the candidates, and brought a new level of training quality to the area.

What a nice guy he was, a great instructor and of course impressively knowledgeable. All in all an admirable person. In the evenings we all mingled over a few beers and diving tales in the hotel bar, and after moderate lubrication he showed us his shark-bait elbow and told us the full story about the shark attack. He could tell a good story, and believe me, had us all feeling the pain.

Jimmy Stewart and these other California guys were really instrumental in advancing the state of the art of diving instruction here in Texas.
The older I get the better I was.

Return to “General Discussions”