ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Pearl Harbor - December 7, 1941

Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:28 pm

Nothing to do about diving. Just a quick acknowledgement and thank you to our service members, past, present and future. My late father was the pilot of a B24 Liberator in the Pacific Theater (see pic, second from left, first row, kneeling). He was stationed at Wheeler, Hickam and Barking Sands in Hawaii in the Army Air Corps during the War. This is he and his crew in 1944 at Muroc Army Airfield (now Edwards Air Force Base) when they returned to ferry more B24's to the Pacific. He was the oldest of the crew at age 22. Mark
1944 Dad's B24 Liberator and crew.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: Pearl Harbor - December 7, 1941

Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:35 pm

Thanks for the post and thanks for the picture.

This link takes you to a PBS show that is fantastic. It is about the USS Arizona and it is about diving. Ok, mostly about an ROV diving into the USS Arizona, but there is some great filming inside the Arizona.
http://www.pbs.org/program/pearl-harbor ... e-arizona/

On the bottom there is also a link to a Show about the USS Oklahoma. Also a good show (but no diving).
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:50 pm

I'm sure the majority of the forum members have a Father or Grandfather with direct ties to the events post Dec 7th.....Amazing stories and amazing men!!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

captain
Plank Owner

Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:53 am

My father in law was a B-29 flight engineer on Guam, a first cousin was an infantryman in the Pacific, a 2nd cousin, Nem Montz was a B-17 gunner who completed 30 bombing missions over Europe, our next door neighbor fought in the Battle of the Bulge, the list is long.

http://photos.384thbombgroup.com/index. ... urs_Albert

O'Neil Boe and I at our American Leigon meeting. O'Neil was a paratrooper who jumped into France on D Day morning. He is standing next to General Eisenhower in the famous picture of Eisenhower addressing the troops before D Day.

He is the man with the dark mop of hair just right of center.

Captain

8dust
Master Diver

Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:15 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:Nothing to do about diving. Just a quick acknowledgement and thank you to our service members, past, present and future. My late father was the pilot of a B24 Liberator in the Pacific Theater (see pic, second from left, first row, kneeling). He was stationed at Wheeler, Hickam and Barking Sands in Hawaii in the Army Air Corps during the War. This is he and his crew in 1944 at Muroc Army Airfield (now Edwards Air Force Base) when they returned to ferry more B24's to the Pacific. He was the oldest of the crew at age 22. Mark
1944 Dad's B24 Liberator and crew.jpg

All those guys in the front row, officers I suppose, look like they're in their 40's...
They look like they really had the world by its nuts.
Then they came home, bought a house, and gave birth to the Hippies... then the Hippies birthed the Millennials...
It's funny, or maybe not so funny, what 22 was then and what 22 is now... :cry:
Freddo
NAVED member #201

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:21 pm

8dust wrote:All those guys in the front row, officers I suppose, look like they're in their 40's..:
Left to right, kneeling - copilot, pilot, navigator, bombardier.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Return to “General Discussions”