kworkman
Master Diver
First Name: Keith

Seatec Horse Collar

Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:20 am

If you own one of these or similar item and do not use the CO2 inflator, how do you inflate? I'm going to assume oral and not powered because I think these are only supposed to be for surface and not buoyancy control. I really have no idea because I have never used one.

captain
Plank Owner

Re: Seatec Horse Collar

Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:46 am

Yes you can use it for buoyancy control and either inflate orally or with a power inflater. The CO2 is for emergency inflation only prferrably when on the surface. First came what is known today as snorkel vests, they were for surface use only. Then the first true BC was the horsecollar with oral inflation and dump valve, then power inflation was added.
Captain

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:25 am

I have two Seatec Sunfish horse collar BCs. One is brand new that I'm saving. The other (above) is a nearly new one that must have got run over by a car or something. The plastic backing disks on the inflator and the exhaust valves were both broke in half. I was able to buy replacement parts from Dive Gear Express and restored this horsecollar to like new working condition.

I find the horsecollar a very convenient add-on for my vintage diving... Where sometimes I want to use it and sometimes not. When diving vintage regulators with no inflator hose, it's easy to just blow a half a breath at a time into the oral inflator. But I've also used it with my Argonaut Kraken and inflator hose for push button inflation.

One thing that's very different with the horsecollar when using an inflator hose: You have to disconnect the inflator hose to take your tank off. And, I discovered the hard way that some quick disconnects are difficult to grip with cold wet gloved hands! Since then, I have switched all of my quick disconnects to the XS type with the wide gripping collar... Problem solved.

BTW - Seatec horse collar BCDs were used by the Navy Seals extensively. The Navy versions have two big honking 38 gram CO2 cylinders with separate detonators. Commercial versions like mine just have one detonator and 38 gram CO2.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

kworkman
Master Diver
First Name: Keith

Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:48 am

What size inflator hose do you use when hooking to the Kraken? 22" or longer?

reddiver
Lung Diver
First Name: David

Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:06 pm

These were used by all US Navy Divers as well as Special forces types . One thing nice about these is that if you have to ditch your tank , you can still be wearing your Seatec for surface swims. I have 2 and like the way it floats you differently than the back mounted BC's. One word of caution, a buddy of mine was using one in 90 ft and accidently pulled his CO2 cartridge which shot him to the surface in basically an uncontrolled ascent. I put an expended CO2 cartridge in the holder ( Otherwise it will leak) and rely on the inflator hose or oral hose to inflate. IF you clean them out good in fresh water after a dive, they will last forever.
Just dove mine in Key West and none of the divers on the boat had ever seen one. !

Red Diver

sunbeam1967
First Name: George

Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:42 am

I have one I got about 4 years ago It was brand new, dive it all the time. Can you still get this unit? I would love to have another one.

captain
Plank Owner

Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:59 am

Captain

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:20 pm

- Length of inflator hose with my Kraken... Sorry I don't remember it off hand. I think I set up that inflator hose length to work nicely with my Dive Rite Back BCD. Come to think... It may be a little short when I use it with the SEATEC Horsecollar.

- One of the nice things about the SeaTec is that you can add a half breath of buoyancy orally... Keeping things really simple when I'm diving my vintage regulators.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:29 pm

I use the same length inflator hose with my Seatec as I do with my wings, a 22 inch I think it is.

The Seatec Sunfish has a dump valve and most certainly is a buoyancy compensator in all senses.

Mine, a military Sunfish bought new from Kenlees with a USD patch sewn over the Seatec.

There is a blue and yellow Seatec brand new for $220 at the shop across from the Scuba Club.

It is true most people remove the CO2 cartridge and install a plug but you could certainly leave the cartridge in place. On all of my BCs, wings or otherwise, I remove the dongles and tie a double knot in the end of the string and burn it tight. Works much better and does not get hump up constantly or in the case of the CO2 cartridge would not discharge it. Pulling the cartridge at depth is a non event, at 10 feet or so it would inflate nearly fully but at depth, hardly at all.

James

Return to “General Discussions”