Turtleguy9
Skin Diver

Idaho is not Hawaii

Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:11 pm

Well, my move to Idaho, is good for cost of living, however, it has pretty much stopped my diving. Working in the dive shops, and for dive boat operators, was great fun, but it was more of a lifestyle job than anything else. I can see the handwriting on the wall, and I will need to retire someday. retirement on the island of Oahu, with the median price of homes, over a million bucks, just is not practical. I also ended up tearing my meniscus, in the right knee, at work in Idaho, but the insurance took care of that. Ok, well I do have a decent government job, as a waste water treatment operator. I guess I will have to watch and plan a trip to Cozumel, when the price looks right. I could plan a trip to Hawaii / Oahu, but after 15 years there, I finally got island fever, and really wanted off that island. When we left Hawaii, we moved by mail, boxing it all up and sending it postal. All the vintage dive gear is still in boxes in my basement. If anyone is planning a future trip to Cozumel, try to keep me in mind. After being certified for over 42 years, and having taught and certified over 2000 divers, I really need to go have a good time in the water again. Thanks to all of you who came and dived with me in Hawaii, as it was great fun.
Thanks
Turtleguy9 aka Roger miller

couv
Master Diver

Re: Idaho is not Hawaii

Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:58 am

Hi Roger,

Sorry you could not stay in paradise. Hawaii is on my to do list, but I've yet to make it there other than a stop in the airport.

Contact Luis; he can give you great information re trip to CZM.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:25 pm

Hey man,

I live in Washington, and I would drive to Coeur d'Alene and meet up with you to do some dives if you want :) I'd make a weekend trip out of it. There's some great diving around here if you have a thick wetsuit. I still dive vintage all the time. I hope your leg feels better :)
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

hydroglove
First Name: William

Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:10 pm

Turtleguy9 wrote:Well, my move to Idaho, is good for cost of living, however, it has pretty much stopped my diving. Working in the dive shops, and for dive boat operators, was great fun, but it was more of a lifestyle job than anything else. I can see the handwriting on the wall, and I will need to retire someday. retirement on the island of Oahu, with the median price of homes, over a million bucks, just is not practical. I also ended up tearing my meniscus, in the right knee, at work in Idaho, but the insurance took care of that. Ok, well I do have a decent government job, as a waste water treatment operator. I guess I will have to watch and plan a trip to Cozumel, when the price looks right. I could plan a trip to Hawaii / Oahu, but after 15 years there, I finally got island fever, and really wanted off that island. When we left Hawaii, we moved by mail, boxing it all up and sending it postal. All the vintage dive gear is still in boxes in my basement. If anyone is planning a future trip to Cozumel, try to keep me in mind. After being certified for over 42 years, and having taught and certified over 2000 divers, I really need to go have a good time in the water again. Thanks to all of you who came and dived with me in Hawaii, as it was great fun.
Thanks
Turtleguy9 aka Roger miller
Oh come on now.. Caldwell? The jewel of the Treasure Valley? I don't think you have given lake Lowell it's proper due! Swimming in the toxic algae on a hot summer night. Dreaming of a mud hole with a true 10' visibility range. To make things even worse, the best place Idaho had was a little pond down in Hagerman. 300 foot wide and you could stick your head in one side and see the other side. Max 15 feet deep though. That and a few years ago access was banned.

YankDownUnder
Master Diver

Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:01 am

It's not all bad in Idaho. My son did his open water dives in Bear Lake. I took an oxygen rebreather in and watched. The fish were of good size, but it was cold. I was stationed at Schofield Barracks and I found most of Oahu to be fished out and barren. Granted the water temperature was mild and visibility was nice, but there wasn't much to see. Three years was enough.

Return to “General Discussions”