Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Use of yellow silicon hoses with ruber mouthpiece

Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:48 am

Hey Folks,

Just a quick question. Has anybody ever experienced hose discoloration by using modern silicon yellow hoses with original rubber mouth pieces? I have seen this happen to silicon masks and straps stored next to rubber products in my dive grab bag. Granted it took awhile before the clear silicon turned brown. That said, I personally haven' seen this with new hoses on older mouth pieces. Just wondering out loud here.

Thanks, Russ
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

8dust
Master Diver

Re: Use of yellow silicon hoses with ruber mouthpiece

Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:54 pm

I've had a sets of grey and yellow silicone, and both on black rubber MPs for abt 4 years, and no issues, but I have wondered about it... Good question. Also have a set of the newer yellow EPDM on an original MP which seems to be OK so far. I remember once somebody mentioning that certain types of those plastic storage containers off-gas and screw up rubber, and I always wanted to know more about that. "Archival" storage of vintage gear, particularly rubber, would be an excellent topic for the basic info section of the site. Not long ago, I was going through boxes in the garage and found some rubber fishing lures that had been tossed on top of some other plastic/rubber somethingoranother, and had basically eaten their way straight down through the pile of it.... not unlike what alien blood will do when you blast one in your spaceship.... Strange how that happens, but I suppose not to a chemist... We got any here?
Freddo
NAVED member #201

Return to “General Discussions”