Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Interest in computer forum?

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:31 am

All,

I would like to assess the group's interest in adding a diving computer sub-forum to the board. It occurred to me as I was researching the Orca Edge, one of the first dive computers, that it would be nice to have a place to discuss older dive computers by Orca, Suunto, etc. here on the forum. I know that it is between vintage and modern, but there exists no such sub-forum on any board to my knowledge. I know Captain has an Edge, I have one, and several others here have early dive computers. Are you guys interested? I don't want to propose this idea to Bryan unless there is interest. We could also share manuals and stuff here if Bryan would permit.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Ron
Site Admin

Re: Interest in computer forum?

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:19 pm

Message received, LOL!

pclarke1
Lung Diver
First Name: Paul

Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:13 am

I think out of all of the (let's call them) classic computers, I find the Edge the most interesting. Being machined from a solid billet of aluminum. I have a Orca Delphi (the one that was recalled) and a Suunto SML as well as a bag of others. I think like twin hoses to me what is interesting it is the fact that diving computers have evolved so little over the years, probably because the math and models to run the them are less complex than the average spreadsheet.

captain
Plank Owner

Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:38 am

The graphic display of the Edge is by far still the best of any computer I have seen. I have an Oceanic puck as a backup but the Edge is my primary, plus it lets me take a couple of pounds off my weight belt.
Captain

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:01 pm

We got Edges when they first came out (I think it was 1983), and actually had deposits for sales several sight unseen.

One of my first thoughts when using one was how educational it was with the different tissue bars loading and unloading at different rates. Some divers began to really understand the tissue concepts so much better after seeing those graphic displays. People were swimming around underwater watching the screen instead of the underwater sights! Still have mine.

I remember being on the Don Jose out of La Paz, and a bunch of us had our Edges out for the first real dive trip. Old timer in the industry, Kenny Young, of Kenlee's Aquasports in Houston, was showing another diver his Edge and discussing the tissue loading graph after a long deep dive on El Bajo seamount. The curious fellow asked what the switch lever was just as he turned Kenny's computer off, thus erasing the memory just before our second dive. Oops... well, more bottom time. :?
The older I get the better I was.

Ron
Site Admin

Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:38 pm

I love my Edge. Really, the only thing annoying about it is it is hard to carry with you. It doesn't really fit on my arm, even with the straps, and I don't feel right putting it on a hose when it weighs like two pounds LOL. The Oceanic Datamaster is a great computer too, and was as far as I know the first air integrated computer, but it loses its fill if the batteries go all the way dead. There is no fill data available for them anymore either, so once the EEPROM loses its data the thing is a paperweight. It's a shame too, mine was mint. Suunto makes a lot of really great earlier computers as well. The pre RGBM ones use the Navy tables as well.

captain
Plank Owner

Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:35 am

I rigged a bolt snap on my Edge and just clip it on a D ring on my tank harness.
Captain

Ron
Site Admin

Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:20 am

Captain Tom,

Mine is the very first version, without any mounting points or lanyards or anything at all. Got any idea? Mine literally looks like a brick, front and back. Interestingly though, mine came with a really fancy metal plate with the square o-ring molded into it instead of just the o-ring, which I have heard used to leak.

$_35.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

antique diver
Master Diver

Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:32 am

Look for the boot that was available for it. You could attach something to that.
I'll keep my eye out for one.

captain
Plank Owner

Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:27 pm

You could use a stainless hose clamp. Break some sharp bends to fit the edges of the Edge and put a D ring with a snap bolt under the clamp. I always use one of the rubber wrist bands that companies give away as advertising to keep the switch from being accidently shut off.
I think Bryan may have had some for VDH at one time.
Captain

Ron
Site Admin

Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:29 pm

That's a great idea Mr. Tom, thanks!

Superlite
Master Diver
First Name: Andrew

Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:04 am

Fought using computers underwater for seems like forever. However I finally succumbed and started with a Suunto Cobra and now a Atomic Cobalt.
Personally I would enjoy learning more about U/W computers. But I still fall back on "plan your dive, dive your plan". That includes profiling dive.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:05 pm

Still have my old Suunto SME/ML. Ran off Navy Tables I seem to recall but had multi-level capability. It still works great. I believe the battery wasn't designed be to user-replaceable but it's a simple screw-on o-ring seal so easy to replace. The one pictured isn't mine, just a pic I found on the net.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Ron
Site Admin

Interest in computer forum?

Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:55 pm

I have been looking for an original Suunto. If you ever get sick of it, please allow me first crack at it :)

antique diver
Master Diver

Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:22 pm

The SME was a very successful item, showing up about maybe a year (1984?) after the Edge. It was so small that it struck an immediate interest. That, along with the lower price sold a ton of them. Suunto built a quality instrument that kept on working.
SME Demo.JPG

These desktop SME simulators were available to Seaquest/Suunto dealers as a great sales tool. These gave prospective owners a hands on way to see how the computer would work underwater, and showed them first hand how their dive time was increased by moving to shallower depths as their no deco time limit was dwindling. A clockwise twist of the knob increases the depth, and CCW reduced the depth. The time on the simulator ran about 4x real time
so you could run a simulated dive faster than real time. They were fun, educational and sold the heck out of SME's for us. I dug these out today and have enjoyed seeing them work again.

Return to “General Discussions”