ElanS2
Diver

Re: Florida east coast hotels & dive operators?

Tue May 25, 2010 9:52 am

Folks,

Vero Beach is as noted not the best for off shore diving (a disappointment having moved here ten years ago). It does offer the UDT Museum here on the Island, about 10 miles south of town on A1A. Well worth a visit.

John S.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Tue May 25, 2010 10:59 am

I like the beach dives at Pepper Park and Bathtub though, the surf can be hairy chested but you feel like a frogman doing them.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Tue May 25, 2010 6:02 pm

John, I'll make it a point to see the museum, and do my boat diving further south.

Ron, Francie doesn't like hairy-chested beach dives, but I do still love that "frogman" feeling and might try the places you recommended. Do you have suggestions for easier beach dives that Francie might like anywhere along the coast between Vero and Ft. Lauderdale? Also, do locally accepted procedures require a float with flag for diving from the beach?

Thanks guys!
BT
The older I get the better I was.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Tue May 25, 2010 10:21 pm

Honestly, every time I have done a beach dive along the Treasure Coast, it has been rough getting in and out. There's a lot of rock portage going on to get in and out. Jacksonville has some pretty decent boat dives, as does the aforementioned Jupiter, and WPB. If you have never done Paradise Springs or Blue Grotto those places are super nice as well for fresh water.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

antique diver
Master Diver

Tue May 25, 2010 11:15 pm

slonda828 wrote:Honestly, every time I have done a beach dive along the Treasure Coast, it has been rough getting in and out. There's a lot of rock portage going on to get in and out. Jacksonville has some pretty decent boat dives, as does the aforementioned Jupiter, and WPB. If you have never done Paradise Springs or Blue Grotto those places are super nice as well for fresh water.
Sounds like we will just concentrate on boat diving, spending time in the upper Keys then travel up to WPB and Jupiter area. Won't rule out a shore dive if conditions are perfect somewhere. Have done a fair amount of spring and cave diving in FL over the years, but Francie is now more interested diving the Keys and drifting the PB area, since she has never done either area, and I haven't since 80's. I might go ahead and bring my cave gear and hit something on the return trip. She might dive cavern zones, but I think she is giving up cave diving as too much trouble... maybe. She might reconsider if we were going back to Yucatan area where the caves are warmer, low flow and decorated... and if I carry her cylinders to the water.
Thanks, BT.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:01 am

There are several excellent beach dives from WPB to Ft Lauderdale by the Sea.

I like Pepper Park as well.

I prefer Ocean Divers in Key largo.

The Jupiter Dive Center was an excellent crew overall, nice boats, excellent shop with good diving.

antique diver
Master Diver

Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:11 pm

Nemrod, thanks for the tips. I'd really like to get in some good but relatively easy shore diving while we are in the area. Any and all input is welcome.
Bill

JAdair
Lung Diver

Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:46 pm

For Ft Lauderdale beach diving, most accessable is from Sunrise Blvd north (and as Nemrod said Lauderdale by the Sea) in to Pompano/Sea Ranch Lakes area. Parking right on the beach just north of Sunrise on A-1-A and past that lots of small parking lots with showers right on the beach. Just drive up A-1-A and pick a spot. Link is to a map of the smaller lots between Sunrise and Oakland Park Blvd.

http://ci.ftlaud.fl.us/parking/NorthLauderdaleMap.pdf

antique diver
Master Diver

Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:37 pm

JAdair wrote:For Ft Lauderdale beach diving, most accessable is from Sunrise Blvd north (and as Nemrod said Lauderdale by the Sea) in to Pompano/Sea Ranch Lakes area. Parking right on the beach just north of Sunrise on A-1-A and past that lots of small parking lots with showers right on the beach. Just drive up A-1-A and pick a spot. Link is to a map of the smaller lots between Sunrise and Oakland Park Blvd.

http://ci.ftlaud.fl.us/parking/NorthLauderdaleMap.pdf
I take it that there must be reefs or ledges most everywhere along there. That looks pretty convenient, and I like the showers. How far to first reef line?
thanks!

Return to “General Discussions”